Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-02-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Puzzle Quest on Xbox Live

I played the demo of this the other night and played the demo. Pretty cool, but I kept getting owned on the Bats in the Belfry quest. Might have to get some points to buy this and a few others.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:54 AM

its pretty fun, I recommend it. Even without the RPG/quest, the game seems cool. Cheap as well!
Old 11-04-2007, 01:24 PM

Awesome game. Extremely well-designed, has a wide variety of mini-games to maintain interest, and appeals to all gamer types (my wife plays this game!). I've been addicted to it for weeks.

Knights own in multi-player. Pump skill points from leveling into Morale (it's the only skill that doesn't have an overwhelming diminishing returns issue), and pump temple training points into earth mastery. The green-synergistic gear is pretty-much overpowered for MP play.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:37 PM

I've been playing knight and single player. I'm really pissed when games gimp puzzles like this though. There shouldn't be any 'illegal' moves. If I make a move that doesn't complete something then it should be my problem. Do they assume their average target audience is too stupid to figure out how to set up proper combos?

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] tetris attack
Old 11-04-2007, 10:32 PM

What do you mean? If you make an illegal move then it IS your problem. You lose 5 life and your turn. Sometimes an illegal move is the best move too since the AI isn't smart enough to also make illegal moves (if optimal).
Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean? If you make an illegal move then it IS your problem. You lose 5 life and your turn. Sometimes an illegal move is the best move too since the AI isn't smart enough to also make illegal moves (if optimal).

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean that I love games like tetris attack where you can set up 5-10x combos by doing a bunch of moves that don't clear anything immediately.

This seems like a dumbed-down version of what it should be. It's aimed at a casual puzzle player--the kind who would spend their time at work playing puzzle games on MSN.

If you want to see a VERY well done puzzle game check out puzzle pirates. It is a MMO based around playing various puzzle games which are playable by novices, but truly enjoyed by the players who have been able to grow their ability at the games.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:27 AM

I played this for a bit before I got Halo 3 and GH3. I made a wizard and crushed on through the game for a while. If you're playing a wizard you just want to dump every single point into Fire. Until you hit level 10, just concentrate on getting red and yellow mana and then pop off as many fire bolts as you can when there arent any skull/red/yellow to get. Once you hit lvl 10, save mana for a Hand of Power/Fireball combo and then pop it on as many skulls as you can.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:39 AM

yeah I have been using the fireball with good results.

I joined the knights that give you the cunning bonus. I figure having more money is better. I can always buy battle skills.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean that I love games like tetris attack where you can set up 5-10x combos by doing a bunch of moves that don't clear anything immediately.

This seems like a dumbed-down version of what it should be. It's aimed at a casual puzzle player--the kind who would spend their time at work playing puzzle games on MSN.

If you want to see a VERY well done puzzle game check out puzzle pirates. It is a MMO based around playing various puzzle games which are playable by novices, but truly enjoyed by the players who have been able to grow their ability at the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Puzzle game elitist? That's just too funny.

Regardless, you're wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] This game is just a different sort of puzzle game. It is based on Bewjeweled, pretty much a clone in fact. There is much more depth than randomly matching whatever you can. You can also set up large combos in this game (or Bewjewled), but it requires somewhat more depth and planning than games like Tetris Attack. Of course not to imply that Tetris Attack is dumbed down by any means, they're just different.

Particularly, in Tetris Attack you are essentially playing against the 'clock'. In this game, you are playing against the board (although there are some timed modes). I think a decent analogy would be between turn based strategy games and real time strategy games.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:20 AM

There is a game that has strategy in it. I don't look at the board so much, other than making sure I am going for what I need, and what I am doing doesn't [censored] me over, but some of it is unavoidable. You do however need to look at your opponents spells and essentially deny them the gems they want.

Man, I finally beat Dugugou or whatever his name is. Took me about 8 attempts.