Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2007, 11:19 AM

Default $6NLTRN: KJs in position

I was completely lost in this hand. I actually thought about it a lot at the time, but I really don't know the best play would've been. Even worse, it was the 8th hand and I didn't really have a read other than that my opponent was at least somewhat tight (since he was folding sensibly to my PFR and he was raising or folding on the button).

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB (t1670)
Hero (t1330)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, BB calls t40.

Flop: (t120) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t80</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t180</font>, Hero calls t100.

Alright so I can't fold this on the flop, but what is my play? I thought about pushing, but I was worried that he might only c/r the flop with trips (or an overpair, but he didn't reraise PF). So that just leaves calling. Should I have pushed here? Another thing is, if I call, he's almost guaranteed to bet the turn...so I need to keep that in mind. Actually, maybe that makes the call better, since if I hit the flush, I'll get extra value.

Turn: (t480) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t300</font>, Hero calls t300.

Ugh. I have no idea what to do here...his smallish bet means I should probably call, right?

River: (t1080) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t320</font>, Hero calls t320.

Now here I really didn't know what to do while I was playing the hand (looking at it now, my river play looks terrible). His bet seems kind of small, although he was probably just trying to squeeze out some more value. Anyways, hopefully by posting this horrible river call, maybe I can convince myself not to do so in the future.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: $6NLTRN: KJs in position

Ott , you're either way ahead or way behind . Calling is fine .

Otr , he's giving you great odds to see if your hand is best . You need to have the best hand only ~ 18.6% of the time for the call to be good .Unfortunately , you might not always like the end result but at least you gave yourself a chance to win the pot .
Old 10-24-2007, 06:17 PM

agreed. i think you will lose msot of the time, but i think you need to call absent of reads
Old 10-25-2007, 04:30 AM

In my experience there are opponents who check raise flops like this because they know that you are as unlikely to hit as they are. Against a lot of players a check raise here can be very profitable. If this situation comes up in the future its just something to think about because I think a push could be a good play against the an opponent who will check raise this flop with air.

I agree with the previous turn and river analysis
Old 10-25-2007, 10:19 AM

I call.