Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Vista can\'t support 2 (different) cards?

Ok to answer this driver incompatibility in Vista. My network manager and I discussed the tech note today and this is what we think. The way it reads to us is that you will have to determine which protocol stack the BIOS of your card is based on, WDDM or XPDM. If you try to install 2 cards that use different driver technologies then Vista will disable one of them.

We weren't sure how Vista would decide which card to disable though. It should follow the device loading order, and the first card that's assigned an address will be the active display adapter (see the mention of POST device). I would imagine that it would go down the line in order of PCI slots starting with the x16 slot.

So to avoid this whole problem install 2 identical cards (which most people do anyways). The only other drawback I could think of is in regard to systems with highly disimilar graphics cards that want to upgrade to Vista. They might be SOL.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:26 PM

Before my current rebuild, I had a single-head card I used for games (albeit poorly) and another random card thrown-in that could barely support 1600x1200. (It worked fine for poker.) I happen to have just purchased a dual-headed card for the new machine, so this wouldn't effect me. But it would have 1 month ago.

It is currently effecting a friend of mine at work; she had a single-monitor machine and wanted 2 so IT put in a second card that happens not to match the first. She's the one that sent me the link above.

It doesn't seem like such a stretch to find users in such a situation. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
-Sam
Old 05-01-2007, 12:14 PM

So they're already rolling out Vista at your workplace? Ballsy.