Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2006, 11:14 PM

Default Re: 3-6 Stud/8 - Who Wins Which Half?

You think that seat 1 was jamming fifth because he liked his low possibilities?
Old 09-06-2006, 11:53 PM

Default RESULTS (Re: 3-6 Stud/8 - Who Wins Which Half?)

Total pot $195 Main pot $2. Side pot-1 $178. Side pot-2 $12. | Rake $3

Seat 1: [Th Ad As Kd Jc 3c 8s]

Hero: [4h 5c 7h 6d 2c 8h 7s] (HI: a straight, Four to Eight; LO: 7,6,5,4,2)

Seat 3: [4d 2d Ac 5h 9s 9c Qs]

Seat 6: [4s 7c Tc Kc 5s 2h Qd]

(Seat 6 was disconnect-all-in for the bring-in, and his hand went nowhere. The hand converter doesn't seem to deal with all-ins.)

My thinking was this: I put Seat 1 on a pair of aces, given his coming out swinging on fourth and fifth when he caught two bricks. This meant that he had no possible low, and so his hand was of essentially no account as a threat to my low hand. I expected him to show down a hand like aces up.

Seat 3 just called on the early streets. While I didn't like a straight draw against two wheel cards and a high hand on fourth street (too much likelihood of drawing to half a pot), on fifth, when Seat 3 bricked, I liked my hand a lot better, thinking I was ahead for low and a straight card was likely a scoop out.

On sixth street my straight got there ... and Seat 3 went nuts. I changed my read on his hand from "busted low draw" to "full house" or maybe "trip nines". If he was full, my low was good. If he had a lesser high hand, my low was good and so was my straight. Almost any low hand he made on the river, if that was his hand, would beat mine ... but my straight would likely be good.

In short, I thought I was in the relatively happy situation of being a strong favorite to win half of a large pot, although there was a noticeable chance I would be chopped up.

Given the sixth street action, I thought there was no chance I would scoop. I was wrong.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:05 AM

Default Re: RESULTS (Re: 3-6 Stud/8 - Who Wins Which Half?)

Yeah, spot on

Good game selection [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2006, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You think that seat 1 was jamming fifth because he liked his low possibilities?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry Andy.

I meant to say does seat 1 have to be full?

and seat 3 looks like he has the low draw.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:43 PM

The reason I don't like repopping on fourth is that, given seat 3's board, "putting him to a decision" generally results in a very easy decision to call. The only hand I'm ahead of for low is (8 x)A 5, and supposing I do make my straight I either have the roughest of eights or the roughest of sevens.

It's an entirely different kettle of fish on fifth street, with the only made low plus an OESD, and on sixth with the only made low and a straight.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:51 PM

I would guess you'd scoop, bad scenario would be you getting low and seat 3 with a boat.

However, since you posted this hand I'm guessing it was some sort of doomsday scenario where seat 1 made a higher straight than you and seat 3 made some dumb 6 or 7 low better than yours somehow. This seems super unlikely since it requires both opponents to have really weird hole cards and to have played the hand completely illogically.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would guess you'd scoop, bad scenario would be you getting low and seat 3 with a boat.

However, since you posted this hand I'm guessing it was some sort of doomsday scenario where seat 1 made a higher straight than you and seat 3 made some dumb 6 or 7 low better than yours somehow. This seems super unlikely since it requires both opponents to have really weird hole cards and to have played the hand completely illogically.

[/ QUOTE ]

If so, then why would I post it here rather than in BBV?

I'm not asking if I played the hand correctly; there was never any doubt in my mind that I did.

I posted it as a problem in hand-reading.