Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Stud/8: Trips vs. Low Cards

Seven Card Stud Hi/Lo ($3/$6) Ante $0.50 Bring-In $1

Third Street - (1.17 SB)

Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Villain: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

Fourth Street - (5.17 SB)
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Villain xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Fifth Street - (4.58 BB)
Hero: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Villain xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

The brick kills any shot for a runner-runner low for me. Villain has three low cards including a six. Two pair is unlikely, I think, and if he has a single pair, it's aces with a baby kicker.

At best, Villain is only a little bit behind me, and at worst he's freerolling me to draw to a flush, straight, or bigger trips.

Bet into him, or check-and-call?
Old 01-19-2006, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Stud/8: Trips vs. Low Cards

Bet, if he calls and sixth bricks, bet again. He may have paired. If at any point he raises, you should call down.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:50 PM

I think calling 3rd behind an Ace who completed with your 766 is dubious at best.

On 5th you want to bet to see where you stand. You don't want to give him a free card if he is going high with split Aces. If he calls, bet into him again if he bricks 6th. You also want to put pressure on him if he's only got 4 to a low right now. Since he completed 3rd, is showing A68, and lots of Sevens are dead you don't have to worry too much about him backing into a straight.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think calling 3rd behind an Ace who completed with your 766 is dubious at best.

On 5th you want to bet to see where you stand. You don't want to give him a free card if he is going high with split Aces. If he calls, bet into him again if he bricks 6th. You also want to put pressure on him if he's only got 4 to a low right now. Since he completed 3rd, is showing A68, and lots of Sevens are dead you don't have to worry too much about him backing into a straight.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-19-2006, 10:38 PM

when an ace raises, muck all pairs big & low - you can't take the chance your up against aces.

you need to play trips aggressively here. only against a low three flush or a 345 would i even consider checking 5th.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:08 AM

Fold 3rd. It would be fine to limp in, but after the ace completes your best play is to just get out.

After that, I think I would bet until he raises me. If he has the low, then he's going to raise you because your board has you nearly locked out in that direction. But he may also raise aces up thinking that his high hand is good, and you don't mind this at all. The worst play would be to check and let him take a free card.