Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 01:21 AM

Default RESULT: Re: 15-30: Steal Attempt with Big Lick

preflop he played it horribly.. as you could have a huge range of hands raising from the button, reguardless of you not playing a hand in only one orbit. any thinking player would not have put you on that tight of an image quite yet, as playing late position is where you do most of the play in limit hold'em anyways.

as far as on the flop, i believe you set the trap perfectly.. and he played his hand as worse as you possibly could.

there is no question to how bad he played the hand, and there is no way i would have flashed that hand to anybody after i saw your winning hand.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:28 AM

Default Re: RESULT: Re: 15-30: Steal Attempt with Big Lick

It's a bad idea to flash your hand to anybody after a loss, but we all succomb to the temptation, especially with big pocket pairs.

Post-flop, what do you think his opponent did wrong in the hand?
Old 06-30-2006, 01:32 AM

ok.. he doesnt raise PF, and then to thicken the idiocy.. he checks a seemingly harmless flop.. so now there is no money in the pot and you have no idea where your opponent is.. and SOMEHOW the pot gets to 12 1/2 BB on solely the turn and river..
Old 06-30-2006, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and then to thicken the idiocy.. he checks a seemingly harmless flop.. so now there is no money in the pot and you have no idea where your opponent is..

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing wrong with the villain checking the flop, in fact it's standard. On the other hand the OP should've bet it.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:14 AM

"ok.. he doesnt raise PF, and then to thicken the idiocy.. he checks a seemingly harmless flop.. so now there is no money in the pot and you have no idea where your opponent is."

Given that the hands that button is trying to run over his kings with include 96o and worse, his main problem is 3-betting preflop and winning the pot on the flop.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:34 AM

Preflop, he normally would 3-bet. Get used to seeing these "deceptive" coldcalls in the SB. Sometimes 3-betting could be more deceptive since it looks like a standard blind defense with any Ace.

Can't say the opponent played terribly postflop - these things happen. Hiding in the woods on that cheesy flop, he figures you'll probably bet your ace-high and he can checkraise or wait for the turn to show aggression.

How to interpret your turn raise? A) You have ace high and are trying to smack down a stab at the small pot, B) You're making a free showdown raise, C) you actually have trips or a boat.

Of these three, C is the least likely, but 3-betting would fold a player with A or B, so I don't think the 3-bet is good in a smallish pot. Calling here and bet/call on the river is probably better, but it's a 1 BB difference.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:48 PM

Preflop, the big blind had been negotiating a chop even before hero raised. So small blind knew that it was going to be head-up. While I would have raised, I can understand just calling for purposes of deception.

Hero's image is TAG. If I were the blind, I would expect him to bet this flop. So I don't see anything wrong with checking it. On the turn and river, I'm looking to get a lot of bets in with pocket kings, especially when my pre-flop call would lead my opponent to believe I did not have a strong hand. The pot got to be big because someone had pocket kings and the other guy had trips.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Post-flop, what do you think his opponent did wrong in the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his river bet was a mistake -- at least, even with KK I check-call in that spot. I think it's one of those situations where the preflop raiser isn't going to call me without a good hand, and more good hands beat me than pay me off. KK beats 18 hands (TT-QQ) that call here, and is behind AA (6 hands), 77 (3 hands), 44 (3 hands), or any nine (88 hands). He's a 5.5:1 dog to make any more money on that river bet.