Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 12:21 AM

Default Preflop Limp/cold calling ranges

Just hope to get couple opinions on limping/ cold calling/opening late/mp1 in loose passive games, which I been seeing a lot lately. Trying to tighten my game up, as I have a pretty loose aggressive image.

Loose Passive Games:

LP (3 limps/one raise and 2 limps/folded to you): o/s and suited --> Q-10, J-10, 9-10, K-10

MP1 (no limps): suited small connectors 3-4 to 7-8, JJ, K-J suited, A-J o/s

ty input appreciated.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Preflop Limp/cold calling ranges

I like your range for 2 limps/folded to you in LP, but I think your range needs to be a bit narrower for 3 limps/one raise. Raises from LAPs are pretty strong.

In MP, I like folding most of the suited connectors. You need to raise more pairs and KJ/AJ. Passive play will allow you to see showdowns fairly cheaply if you want, and take them to value town when need be.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:33 AM

i was actually wondering what people do with these hands in all 3 of those situations.

much help needed.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just hope to get couple opinions on limping/ cold calling/opening late/mp1 in loose passive games, which I been seeing a lot lately. Trying to tighten my game up, as I have a pretty loose aggressive image.

Loose Passive Games:

LP (3 limps/one raise and 2 limps/folded to you): o/s and suited --> Q-10, J-10, 9-10, K-10

MP1 (no limps): suited small connectors 3-4 to 7-8, JJ, K-J suited, A-J o/s

ty input appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is supposed to be a survey type thing:

Against 3 limpers and a raise: I cold call with all of those suited hands, fold the offsuited ones. Note: if this had been an open raise followed by 3 cold callers you would then prefer smaller suited connectors and one gaps. Against a few limpers followed by a raiser your bigger suited cards can work well.

Two limps and then folded to me. I fold the KT offsuit unless I'm on the button, in which case I either raise or fold. Sklansky suggests folding this hand after a couple of people have limped as you are giving away implied odds. If the blinds are tight it may be worth raising to try to take control of the pot with an overlay. But fold against players who will usually call raises in the blind. QT, JT, and T9 all have more drawing power than the two gapped KT. Suited I play all of these hands in any position with two limpers already in.

Okay, the next group was for mid position, first in pot. Fold the small suited connectors. Play these only when at least two others have already entered the pot. Raise first in with those pocket pairs and big sutied cards.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:15 AM

ty emerson.

i been talking with some players whose opinion's I greatly respect.

What is the general consensus on pot control in limit holdem. Hands like A-J o/s after 3-4 limps, or K-Q suited on the button. Do you raise or keep pot small to give smaller implied odds to draw on each street against opponents.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:31 AM

"What is the general consensus on pot control in limit holdem."

its a crappy concept. the only thing you have power over is how much money *you* put into the pot. Most ppl realize now that the best way to maximize the money the fish put in bad is by pushing all edges early and often.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"What is the general consensus on pot control in limit holdem."

its a crappy concept. the only thing you have power over is how much money *you* put into the pot. Most ppl realize now that the best way to maximize the money the fish put in bad is by pushing all edges early and often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, most fish are not weak tight. Taking control of the pot is only useful against a couple of players who tend to check fold when they miss.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:35 PM

There is something to be said for just calling when there are a lot of limpers with hands like AJo/ATo. You don't have much of an equity edge and it will be easier to protect the vulnerable top pair hands that you flop. I mix it up in this spot.

You should always raise with the suited cards though, KQs, even JTs is a raise here.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:56 PM

Does anyone even play 34s? While playing limit I've been trying to ween myself off of 34s and 54s even on the button for one bet because I hate making low straights and flushes. Am I too tight?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is something to be said for just calling when there are a lot of limpers with hands like AJo/ATo. You don't have much of an equity edge and it will be easier to protect the vulnerable top pair hands that you flop. I mix it up in this spot.

You should always raise with the suited cards though, KQs, even JTs is a raise here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree. Mike Caro has written about this often but that opinion is not widely shared here.