Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: My toughest hand in ME

He had a flush draw. Nice hand.

Easy call on the turn, I always see a draw played like this.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MP is aggroo preflop and supposed tourney pro. I have about 18k, blinds 200/400 about 1 hour into the level. SB is very very loose middle aged Chinese dude. He has about 35k, but is pretty new to the table. He limps and calls raises a lot PF, but doesn't seem to make big moves postflop.

MP opens to 1200, I call next to him with 88, and the SB calls. Flop is 963 with a flush draw, and MP bets 2500. I think for a bit and call, and then SB also calls. Turn is another 9 (no flush yet) and SB quickly shoves for 5.6k into about an 11k pot. MP folds and I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is what I read,
MP, a supposed "pro", agroo pf, 35K.
SB, a loose chinese, 9.2K.
Hero MP+1, 19K.

With MP's image, from your observation, he opens with a lot of hands pf and c-bets a lot with air. I raise the flop.

On the flop, 3-way action, SB checks, MP bets, Hero raises.

Hero vs MP : MP (with his image) not likely to have overpair or set and he folds to flop raise most of the time.

SB vs Hero, basically your raise has already put SB all-in, with MP behind him, SB folds under pair, 9 and only push with flush draw/set.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:32 PM

Is there a reason no one here has mentioned raising the flop? I'm not sure that's the best line, but I think if I'm getting felted with this hand I'm raising the flop because there are so many turn cards I'd hate to see, and I think calling 2500 then folding 5.6k on the turn in an 11k pot is kind of bad.

Pre-flop I think the call is fine, depending on table dynamics I'd fold here sometimes and I might even 3 bet occasionally, but standard is probably a call. I really think I either raise or fold the flop though 3 handed.

-Rizen
Old 07-10-2007, 05:44 PM

Rizen,

I know you know this, but you can't judge the equity of a particular decision based on just one of many possible series of events that could have happened after that decision. Calling the flop and folding to the turn shove may look bad in hindsight, but there are a multitude of things that could have happened that would have made the flop call look good.

Anyway, I think you actually make a good case for just folding the flop. There's a flush draw, we've already been bet into in a 3-way pot, and there is still someone left to act. More often then not we're not going to like the turn cards.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:50 PM

That McLain guy has been really, really tight from the hands I've seen him play on TV and on reports online, FWIW. Only about 15-20 hands but I he's known as a "Solid Pro."

I think I fold to the shove but play it like you did up until then.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:19 AM

I think he has a 9 here in this situation and he doesn't want to get it in on the flop because he is so short that someone with a flush draw/straight draw will call him and he will be 50/50 with a flush draw or the person will have good enough odds to call an OESD. I think sb was probably thinking on the turn I am going to shove anything that doesn't complete the flush.

I fold
Old 07-11-2007, 04:50 AM

The SB did end up being certifiably insane, but the monster inside of him had not been fully unleashed at that point.

I only play a handful of tournaments per year, so I'm definitely not a 'tourney pro'. Whenever they show me on ESPN, I have AA, so you should probably not get involved if I raise preflop.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:42 AM

once he overcalls you can muck your eights unless you turn a third one
Old 07-11-2007, 08:15 AM

i was at your table, were you intimidated by me? this hand was really bad, flat call is sick preflop (sick good), overcall on flop = your dead. my guess is sb here has something like a9 (lol?)
Old 07-11-2007, 08:58 AM

also, gobbo, i hope ur joking or drunk you're better then this