Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: I wish I could

ok but what if i go in a bar and want to order a drink, and they say "you gotta be 21+".. i say, "but i am!" they say "prove it"

i'm just curious.. being able to identify someone seems like a good idea to me for a lot of reasons.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok but what if i go in a bar and want to order a drink, and they say "you gotta be 21+".. i say, "but i am!" they say "prove it"

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think they would expect if there were no state issued ID?

[ QUOTE ]
i'm just curious.. being able to identify someone seems like a good idea to me for a lot of reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

And a state-issued document is the only way to do that?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course its a good idea for multitudes of reasons that far outweigh any "big brother" paranoia.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did i say it was? i am not PRO STATE ISSUED DOCUMENT i'm just talking here.

there is no state issued ID now, is there? they would expect you to prove your age by showing some document i guess? can't cut me open and count the rings.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

did i say it was? i am not PRO STATE ISSUED DOCUMENT i'm just talking here.

there is no state issued ID now, is there?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you go to a bar and someone asks to see your ID, what do you show them?

Who issues that document?

[ QUOTE ]
they would expect you to prove your age by showing some document i guess? can't cut me open and count the rings.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I'm getting at is why do you expect anyone here to provide a pre-packaged answer for this problem?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course its a good idea for multitudes of reasons that far outweigh any "big brother" paranoia.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to your personal subjective preferences, of course.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:41 PM

i thought you guys were talking about mandatory ID's. i show them my driver's license, which i need to operate a motor vehicle, and which they accept as identification. i chose to get a driver's license because i wish to operate motor vehicles.

i don't expect anyone to have a pre-packaged answer. i'm just asking a question. if it's somehow unanswerable ok that's that i guess.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A) Your example is a bad one, since the minimum drinking age is itself a crock, but,

B) In general, it sounds like a good idea to me, too. There are lots of legitimate reasons you would want to establish proof of identity. Why do you think this service needs to be monopolized by the government?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:51 PM

i don't think it needs to be monopolized by the government. i think you guys are reading things that aren't there, honestly. you're viewing me as pro-government off the bat somehow. i'm just curious when i hear someone say they are against state ID's it makes me want to ask questions. i guess private companies could provide ID's also, but then who knows if one is fake or not, there could be too many companies. i don't know.

another thing, i'm assuming we're working within the framework of current law. you say my example is bad because the drinking age is a crock. i agree with you there! but i really have no choice right now. if i wanna go out and get a drink i'm gonna have to show some state ID.

i mean, if we're not gonna work within the current state of affairs, then all bets are off i guess. anything is fair game. i mean, you could say you don't think people should even have to be licensed to drive vehicles, because the roads would all be privatized and blah blah blah you could go on and on.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:56 PM

1. There are fake IDs right now. Most likely more than there would be in a free market.

2. Sounds like you're new around here. Anything is fair game.