Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 06:24 PM

Default I wish I could

Sorry if this sort of thing is frowned upon here, not sure why it would be but w/e. If I was in charge of the country, I would change or attempt to change these things, for the benefit of the USA of course.

Ranked in no order of importance, and of course I could do something about it, but I'm lazy/not rich enough to get into politics, at least now.

1. Abolish the IRS, establish a national sales tax instead. Saves money, streamlines the system and lets people and markets decide where capital is put to best use.

2. Get rid of Social Security. Phase it out, end it immediately somehow, whatever. I'm sick of paying for old people's expenses, and I only contribute a very small amount per year since I don't make a lot. I'm not an expert, but me and other people paying into the system should not be in danger of losing our money. The best idea here is to take out 5-7% (or whatever the % is) of everyone's pay (unless the income tax is gone as in above example), and deposit this into an individual acct. Let me pick from, say 10 (or more, or less, whatever) options, ranging from 90% stocks/10% bonds to the opposite, or something along those lines. This lets people save on their own, sure it's forced (which I'm against) but at least fix the system so people get out what they put in (and then some, with compound interest).

3. Legalize. I don't do drugs, but legalize marijuana. Tax and regulate it. Same with poker. Possibly look into legalizing Heroin/Cocaine and other drugs, with tight regulation. But that's probably a bad idea. Then again cigarettes are pretty damn addictive, and we can use the tax revenue.

4. Fix the school systems. Use money to upgrade schools, get as much technology into the classroom as possible, make sure teachers/faculty are doing a good job, standardize it nationwide. For example, at my high school 93-100% was an A. Other schools was 90-100%. This is stupid and causes too much wasted time with colleges looking (or overlooking) students based on something that can easily be streamlined.

5. Nationwide ID. This is probably in the works already, but issue a standard ID nationwide. Again, cuts down on clutter and extra work.

6. Cut the paperwork. Give tax breaks or some incentive for people to pay taxes online (again, if we are keeping the current system). Voting needs to be more modern and transparent.

7. Cut the hyprocacy. I'm so sick and tired of seeing ads for the PA lottery on TV, advising me to "keep on scratching". Yeah, it benefits older Pennsylvanians, blah blah blah basically for every $1 I use to buy a ticket I get back $.50 or $.70 or something absurd. I'm sick and tired of being told to keep gambling and yet online poker is a gray area, I have to look over my shoulder at a live game, sports betting is illegal, etc etc. Just one example of many.

Now, a lot of these probably infringe on state's rights, would result in loss of a lot of cushy gov't jobs, stuff like that, but I'm getting sick of the long lines at the post office, the stupidity of the tax system, and big government in general. I want and need the government to protect me, and I guess a few other things is fine, but why doesn't anyone realize that profit is the best motivator for just about anything? I mean I guess a lot of smart people realize this, just can't do anything because the government has a monopoly on things like the lottery and (at least here in PA and probably 1-2 other states) things like liquor sales. It's just troubling that the primary and secondary school systems are at the very best lagging behind (what they should and could be) while colleges/universities are full of great ideas/innovations and the latest technology. I think paying $35k+ at good schools has something to do with it, you get what you pay for.

Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot/clueless, but I think I have at least a few sensible ideas here.

/rant
Old 10-31-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Re: I wish I could

Number 4 seems like saying "Fix the submarines; please put on all new screen doors."

Number 5 is [censored] nuts. We should be getting rid of state ID cards, not adding national ones.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:08 PM

#4 seems to imply that you think public schools will be fixed by the govt throwing more money at them. But then the last paragraph seems to imply that you believe privatization is best. I'm confused about your stance here.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#4 seems to imply that you think public schools will be fixed by the govt throwing more money at them. But then the last paragraph seems to imply that you believe privatization is best. I'm confused about your stance here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think privatization is best, but if that can't be achieved then upgrading them smartly makes sense, don't you think? I don't mean just throwing money blindly at the schools, clearly that won't work. I'm not exactly sure what the money goes towards, but why can't schools who are run down and in bad shape get some more modern upgrades? I guess I'm confused about how some schools have no air conditioning or a lack of paper or something. Isn't the government helping schools improve? What do school taxes go toward? Again, I'd rather just have the "school tax" built into a national sales tax. Take a % of the sales tax and distribute it to schools. No school should be run down and without computers in this day and age. If the gov't is going to take the money, at least put it to good use.

But yeah, I'd rather have it all privatized if possible, it avoids problems like this for the most part.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4. Fix the school systems. Use money to upgrade schools, get as much technology into the classroom as possible, make sure teachers/faculty are doing a good job, standardize it nationwide. For example, at my high school 93-100% was an A. Other schools was 90-100%. This is stupid and causes too much wasted time with colleges looking (or overlooking) students based on something that can easily be streamlined.

[/ QUOTE ]

How much are we paying for schools and what kind of schools are we actually getting?
Old 10-31-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much are we paying for schools and what kind of schools are we actually getting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good article, and pretty much what I'm talking about. I wish I (we) could eliminate this kind of lunacy.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:04 PM

My suggestions

More Superprisons and repeat offenders capitla crimes go there till they die
Mandatory Organ Donation(If you opt out for religous reasons you cant receive either).
$1000 tax credit for voting
Mandatory 2 years of service
Old 10-31-2007, 10:35 PM

borodog,

what's wrong with ID cards in general? what do you propose instead of them?
Old 10-31-2007, 10:35 PM

it's all in the ballpark of reasonable except #5
Old 10-31-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
borodog,

what's wrong with ID cards in general?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's totalitarian and oppressive. "Welcome to South Carolina! Papers please."

[ QUOTE ]
what do you propose instead of them?