Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Q for EDF Business Type People: Follow Up

Current disagreement wrt procedure between me and my boss.

One of my responsiblies is to implement changes in contract language to our contracts and the websites that reference them.

There is currently an email discussion between our Vice Provost (leader of organization, my bosses bosses boss) and two memebers of the AG's office about some changes in contract language.

My boss suggests that I should take this email, file it, and if I hear nothing for 2 weeks follow up with the group. Her feeling is this makes me look proactive and invested.

My feeling is that it's simply not ok for somebody at my level to be doing this to people that high up the food chain. My boss doens't feel this way at all, and has upset a few people in this organization because she's stepped on their toes and told them how to do their jobs. That said, she also has a reputation as somebody who gets things done and is way on top of stuff.

So it's something of a cost/benefit question. This is University Admin stuff, but I would be interested in responses across various fields. Where's that line between being involved and helpful and just being a pest? If you're management, What do you expect of those employees beneath you? At what point do they just start to be inappropriate and invasive?
Old 10-05-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: Q for EDF Business Type People: Follow Up

I think a large factor is what your actual response is.

"Hi Everyone, Just seeing if you have made a decision in this matter" is probably bad and inappropriate.

Some comment where you lend some key/potentially unknown insight about the issue, given that this is part of your job, might be seen as helpful.

So, if you have something intelligent to add to the conversation, say it.

also, this isn't really a follow-up or cost/benefit question, it's a question of stepping on toes
Old 10-05-2007, 06:07 PM

I have no insight to offer. This part of the job is grunt work. I am in no way qualified or expected to have anything useful to say here. My only function would be "hey important people, have you finished up with this yet?"
Old 10-05-2007, 06:21 PM

Dibs,

Does the timing of when they get back to you impact your ability to do your job?

As I read your post, at some point they'll say "this has been changed" and at that point you'll make some changes in various documents/pages.

If that's your role in this, I don't see any reason for you to follow up.

On the other hand, if you are rolling out a set of new webpages or documents or something, then it makes perfect sense during that process to say something like "Hey, I'm rolling out xxx in the next couple of weeks. Are there any modifications from the recent discussions that need to be included?"
Old 10-05-2007, 06:29 PM

Diablo,

Not at all. Whenever they reach a decision, I'll forwad that change to the appropriate parties and they'll make it happen/I'll make changes. The document have long since rolled out.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:32 PM

You're in a really tough spot here. My take is that your boss is using you to prod her higher ups because they aren't moving fast enough for her and, from the tone of your post, it's quite possible that she's worn out her welcome at their doors on this issue.

IMHO (and I've been in your shoes several times in the corporate world) it would be totally inappropriate to interject yourself in a policy decision at that level.

The ways that your career can be screwed are just too numerous to count.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:35 PM

SDP,

That's pretty off base. She really is only thinking about my best interests in this case. She still has no problem doing this kind of stuff herself. This is just her "lesson" to me on how to impress people and look like a winner deserving of promotion and what not.

Also, I'm not involving myself in a discussion of the policy specifically, just saying "where are we at with this".
Old 10-05-2007, 06:39 PM

Are you included in this email chain? I mean, do the emails between the vice provost and other people all go to you? If so it sounds like you could just watch the chain and know when they come to a conclusion on the issue.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:41 PM

I'm in the chain, and if it stays active obviously no follow up would be required. I would only get involved if the discussion died and there was no information shared for a couple weeks.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My feeling is that it's simply not ok for somebody at my level to be doing this to people that high up the food chain.

[/ QUOTE ]

If your job requires..

[ QUOTE ]
One of my responsiblies is to implement changes in contract language to our contracts and the websites that reference them.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and their decision impacts your ability to do so you do not look bad at all.

Most employers would prefer an employee that takes the iniative.