Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 11-25-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Examples of what is killing my game

I am reviewing my history in Pokertracker. I found a lot of hands that I played really standard on and lost just due to variance i.e. push with top trips and opponent catches their flush or straight... nothing I can really do to change those situations.

But after I took a lot of beatings it caused me to start playing "gun shy" in the beginning with strong starting hands and then when I have no shot at winning "over playing". This is an example of my slide into playing very weak with an extremely strong starting hand.

Notice when I don't hit my magic trip on the flop, I just check the flop. I repeat this pattern of just calling the flop in order to see what the turn brings in several hands like this one.

When I see that no diamond hits on the turn, I push into the pot hoping to take it down. Then he reraises me... at which point I suspect he either has me beat or is drawing good.

This is what I think I should have done. I should have either potted the flop or even better reraise his bet on the flop.

But as played when he reraised me I really should have folded.

I notice as I go through my database I played a few hands like this, sugestions?

[BTW I know this hand was horribly played. I am just reviewing all my huge mistakes and want to correct them.]

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $0.10/$0.25
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Janellebb7: $28.45
UTG+1: $16.40
MP1: $19.75
MP2: $25
MP3: $29.25
CO: $71.35
Button: $7.20
SB: $14.90
BB: $14.95

Pre-flop: (9 players) Janellebb7 is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Janellebb7 raises to $1.1</font>, 2 folds, MP2 calls, 4 folds, BB calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($3.4, 3 players)
BB checks, Janellebb7 checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets $3.4</font>, BB folds, Janellebb7 calls.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($10.2, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Janellebb7 bets $10.2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises all-in $20.5</font>, Janellebb7 calls.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($51.2, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $51.2)

Results:
Final pot: $51.2
<font color="#cc0000">Janellebb7 showed Jh Jd Kh Kc</font>
<font color="#cc0000">MP2 showed 9c Kd 3s Ac</font>
Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Re: Examples of what is killing my game

This is really, really bad.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is really, really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Crush I don't need an echo. I already made that statement above. I am sure you never make any bad plays. All your plays are perfect.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:36 PM

Why did you call the flop?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:37 PM

note: I'm a hold'em player, now omaha hi player

why not 3/4 bet flop?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:42 PM

I am looking at this hand historically so this is my guess... I had taken a lot of bad beats and instead of betting out I had decided to check/call and see the turn. I wanted to see if a diamond turned.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:51 PM

I don't see the logic? You missed the flop; either make a cbet and give up if he calls and you don't improve, or just check-fold. This turn card is not good at all, so why invest more if you have horrible equity against all but a pure bluff?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:27 PM

Flop: You played this alright. You raised it up preflop and whiffed the flop. I don't understand why you put him on a flush draw though. With that flop and his flop bet, I'd put him on 2 pair or a set.

Turn: No draw completed and you bet strong after showing weakness on the flop. Your line doesn't make sense unless you spiked a set of queens.

If another diamond had hit on the turn, you could make that same bet and represent the flush. That would put the villain in a tough spot.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:02 PM

What else do you want me to say?

[ QUOTE ]
This is what I think I should have done. I should have either potted the flop or even better reraise his bet on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Potting the flop is standard.

c/ring that flop is probably terrible because I doubt you ever do that with a made hand.

The turn donk is also bad because you again probably never take that line with a made hand.

I think you played this hand about as incorrectly as possible.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/ring that flop is probably terrible because I doubt you ever do that with a made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not true. I would do that to attempt to extract more money in a small pot like this. I have done it before and it has been successful in getting a weak draw or a weak two pair to fold. This is why I thought it may be a good play in this instance. If he reraised then it is an easy fold because potting then reraising would indicate top set to me here.

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played this hand about as incorrectly as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I am not showing an example of a well played hand here. I was reviewing my whole pokertracker database to find my WORST played hands... thus why it is SO BAD!

Unfortunately, I played badly after I took a lot of bad beats on the 1st of November. So I am reviewing all my mistakes. No matter how ugly!

I am still a noobie Crush. Gimme a break, okay? You didn't have to be ugly. This is why I mentioned how bad my play was from the start, so I didn't get a bunch of posts saying how this was bad.

I wanted to see different perspectives on how to play this hand since it isn't very standard.

That is the point of posting here isn't it? If I just post all my wonderfully played hands, it would be a back slapping session.

Sorry if I am being a bit rude to you, but you have been a bit rude lately... at least to me you have.