Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 04:07 AM

Default Running it twice

I play in mid-stakes live games in which running it twice (or 3 or 4 times) is popular. I have settled on the following approach and would like corrections/comments. It seems to me that the best approach is to agree to run it twice against weak players and to only run it once against strong players. My reasoning is as follows.

Stong players are more likely to bet or raise based on fold equity and will want to run it twice, hoping to bail out to a chop if they get called. You don't want them doing that against you, so make them know they will not get to run it twice if they are called.

Weak players like to run it twice because it sounds cool and they see it on TV. You want these players to enjoy playing with you, so if a decision has EV=0 and they want to do it, let them.

The down side o this strategy is that the strong players will see what you are doing and not run it twice with you when you make a big semi-bluff and get called.

Comments?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Running it twice

If the money is already in there is no differ EV wise... just cuts down on variation...if on a low bankroll run it twice or more...if healthy rolled...dont
Old 11-20-2007, 11:17 AM

the cards need to be face up when deciding always..if you ask me...and in an all in situation...if neither applies then why would ya'll run it 2 times?
Old 11-20-2007, 11:57 AM

You pointed out some good considerations. Here are some more:

Ask yourself whether you would prefer to see the players run it twice if you weren't involved in the hand. Running it twice greatly decreases the chance that someone will bust out. If a weak player busts out, will he quit? If a weak player doubles up, will he play even worse? If a strong player busts out, will he quit and leave the fish to you? Will he stay, but play in a more predictable style?

If you can rebuy after busting out, then running it twice decreases the amount of money you have on the table on average. Sometimes it is an advantage to have a bigger stack, to play bigger pots against bad players, and sometimes it is a disadvantage, e.g., if a strong player with a deep stack has position on you.

Running it twice slows down the game, particularly if you have to explain how it works or negotiate.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Running it twice slows down the game, particularly if you have to explain how it works or negotiate.

[/ QUOTE ]

we do this in our home game too. what happens is the players (who know what it's about) negotiate the deal in progress. Then we explain to the noobs (if there are any) after the hand is over. saves time.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 PM

pzhon, is on the right track here, you run it twice or more with people based on the individual circumstanses. some people i do it with and some i dont. generally i dont as it puts alot of pressure on a player to call my big bets knowing he is going to put all his money in with little recourse if he loses.