Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Scotty Nguyen says High Stakes Poker is fake? (x-post from t.v.)

[ QUOTE ]
Ok in this hand, your going to bluff off a couple hundred grand to this guy who flops quad kings... AND ACTION!

[/ QUOTE ]

CUT! Mike, what are you doing there? You're supposed to re-raise! Somebody give him his lines again. I want the cocktail ladies in the background on this shot. Places...ACTION!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CUT! Mike, what are you doing there? You're supposed to re-raise! Somebody give him his lines again. I want the cocktail ladies in my trailer

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-09-2007, 08:22 PM

Im sure its legit, but that being said....

1)Anyone who knows anything about show bussiness, sports, employment contracts etc knows there is certain things players (employees) can't say to participate. Im sure in the contract where they get their appearance fee there is a "can not disclose "x" details"... this would include saying the show is not real... If you say something the show can probably file suit for the apperance fee they offered.
2)"Cross-booking" - a player owns X% of another player. Theoretically if there was 10 players, and each player owned 10% of all other 10% the game could be 0 risk. Simply put, we dont know that it is real or fake, but rather that it may not be 100% as it appears.
3) The game may be -ev as it is surly not the easieast game in town... but since the players get an appearance fee the game may be breakeven, or even +ev for some... This factor ways in some, but i dont see how it would constitute the game being "fake"...
Old 11-09-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fwiw (little), i don't think it's fake. havent heard anything even remotely like that. But I LOVE your avatar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody says that. I'm not the only J-Love fan on this board apparently .

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that who she is? Pretty grainy, couldn't tell exactly, was concentrating on some udder aspects of the picture.

Also, since the players all do know each other so well on the show, many having running prop bets/owing one another large sums etc., I'm sure there is a fair amount of financial cross-pollination going on, but definitely no outright collusion or team play. imo
Old 11-09-2007, 09:01 PM

[x] nvg
Old 11-09-2007, 09:35 PM

scotty is not trustworthy, he is a poker player.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Im sure its legit, but that being said....

1)Anyone who knows anything about show bussiness, sports, employment contracts etc knows there is certain things players (employees) can't say to participate. Im sure in the contract where they get their appearance fee there is a "can not disclose "x" details"... this would include saying the show is not real... If you say something the show can probably file suit for the apperance fee they offered.
2)"Cross-booking" - a player owns X% of another player. Theoretically if there was 10 players, and each player owned 10% of all other 10% the game could be 0 risk. Simply put, we dont know that it is real or fake, but rather that it may not be 100% as it appears.
3) The game may be -ev as it is surly not the easieast game in town... but since the players get an appearance fee the game may be breakeven, or even +ev for some... This factor ways in some, but i dont see how it would constitute the game being "fake"...

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all if everyone had 10% of everyone it would just reduce the stakes by 10%... There would be no "zero risk". Second of all there has been so much terrible play on this show to say that it is neutral ev with appearance fees for the best players is rediculous.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:24 PM

Next you will try and tell me that Bear Gryls guy don't sleep nekked in a snow cave then get up and eat 3 piss ants for breakfast.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:53 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Stakes_Poker

It is real, they also get $1,250 per hour for playing

"In season one, Daniel Negreanu confirmed in a post on his website's forums that all players were paid $1,250 per hour for taking part "

And besides, has Scotty Nguyen ever even played on HSP? I don't remeber him ever being on there.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:01 PM

So Jerry Buss and these other wealthy non poker pro donks come to the game and participate in the fake game?

..I highly doubt it.