Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 09-14-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Borgata like poker chips???

I don't buy that. In certain positions they repel. Also the attraction/repulsion effect gets stronger with several chips stacked. I gotta think there are magnets in there somewhere.

[ QUOTE ]
There's a slight concave on each side of the chips which creates an air vacumm when they're stacked one over the other. This makes them slightly stick. I've cracked one in half and there is no magnet in it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-14-2007, 01:06 PM

Ive never had a Borgata chip repel (except from me?), if they were magnetic half of your stack wouldnt sit right as every magnet has a N and S and youd have a 50/50 chance of the chips lining up correctly to stick or repel.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:12 PM

It sounds like the Borg chips are like Bay 101 chips. I [censored] hate those things.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a slight concave on each side of the chips which creates an air vacumm when they're stacked one over the other. This makes them slightly stick. I've cracked one in half and there is no magnet in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the exact reason. I've had a couple of conversations with dealers I know and the floor at the Borg and this was confirmed. I've also broke one open and their's a metal slug in the middle, but not a magnet.

The chips do not repel from each other. Also, magnetic chips would never stay stacked side by side (already been stated)
Old 09-16-2007, 02:38 PM

Anything that has metal in it can become slightly magnetic at times.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anything that has metal in it can become slightly magnetic at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be true, but it's not related to why the Borgata chips stick together.
Old 09-16-2007, 03:50 PM

I always thought that was why, but of course I don't know for sure. They do stick together more when you rub them together, I thought it was static electicity causing magnetism in the metal. The same thing happens with the chips at some rooms in California where I have played. I have never noticed the chips being concave, but I haven't really looked at them that closely.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:29 PM

You can magnetize a piece of iron (or nickel or cobalt) by rubbing another piece of iron against it, but only if (1) one of the pieces of metal is already a permanent magnet, and (2) you rub the other piece over it consistently in the same direction, which is what causes the molecules to align in the same direction and therefore become magnetized. Even if these conditions were met, I suspect the plastic coating around the slugs would interfere.

Finally, there's no clear business purpose for having magnetic chips, and there's a good business reason not to have them: people carry them in their pockets, near their wallets. If the chips were magnetic, they would demagnetize people's room keys and credit cards.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:43 PM

Just to clarify, I certainly was never saying I thought the Borgata chips had magnets in them. I did think that the reason they sometimes stuck together was because the metal inside them occasionally got slightly magnetic, but I could be wrong about that.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:07 PM

hey at least they don't get dirty...look at the Taj's chips...they are disgusting.