http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vav6b5F-_64
nsfw

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

well done sir
Old 10-29-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: FREE THAC

searching for the "F word" during just the last week reveals 75 posts it appears in. most of those were from circumventing the filter in the same way.

seems inconsistent to pile on the days for this when it is generally tolerated.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(He was temp-banned for writing, "I'll gouge your eyes out and skull[censored] you." I didn't see the context. Maybe it was supposed to be a friendly comment.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know the guy or the context, but in his defense, this is a rather well-known line from a movie, so it may have just been a pop culture reference gone bad.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
searching for the "F word" during just the last week reveals 75 posts it appears in. most of those were from circumventing the filter in the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT

It's one thing if thac's post really crossed the line but it was obviously sarcastic (I mean, look at his reply in the context of the OP, it's really just plain funny imo and cannot POSSIBLY be construed as serious) and his profanity filter "breach" is completely standard around here. For example, I've used "cluster [censored]" (1 word) and "[censored] ton" (also 1 word) which aren't filtered and haven't gotten banned. Apparently 75 other posters have done the same in the past week. If you're going to start selectively enforcing crap like this then I don't understand why you'd start with a good SSNL poster and a nice level-headed dude.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT

It's one thing if thac's post really crossed the line but it was obviously sarcastic (I mean, look at his reply in the context of the OP, it's really just plain funny imo and cannot POSSIBLY be construed as serious) and his profanity filter "breach" is completely standard around here. For example, I've used "cluster [censored]" (1 word) and "[censored] ton" (also 1 word) which aren't filtered and haven't gotten banned. Apparently 75 other posters have done the same in the past week. If you're going to start selectively enforcing crap like this then I don't understand why you'd start with a good SSNL poster and a nice level-headed dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

The mods may not have noticed these other uses of the word in their threads but perhaps THAC's post was notified to a moderator which brought the banhammer.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the longest journey starts with one small step.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:13 PM

mods should obviously start using the search function to actively search out violators and people circumventing the filter and then punish them harshly.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:15 PM

I just did a search for the f word in bbv and see 16 cases in the past week (not sure where you got 75). They'll be dealt with.

Goofy, your logic is flawed.

Your logic:
-the profanity filter is breached on occasion
-Thac was caught doing it and punished
-Other people were not punished
-Therefore, punishment is selectively enforced

right?

Your logic assumes people were caught and not punished, which would make this an unfair ban.

That is simply not the case. Mods are not all-seeing nor do we read every single thread. I also don't spend my time searching twoplustwo for bad words and cackling whenever I find one and get to ban someone (YESSSSSS I RUINED A SSNL POSTER'S DAY...THE POWERRRRRRRRRRRR).

If I come across something in my own posting/reading on bbv, I'll deal with it accordingly. Probability of me picking something up is like 20-30% given the size of bbv now.

If it gets reported, I or someone else will deal with accordingly. Probability of someone dealing with a reported case is 100%.

THAC's post was reported by a poster in BBV. Therefore, I dealt with it.

We are at the max of what I can possibly find and deal with in a given day, so it is up to the posters if they think it is unfair to either a) try and get the policies changed (lol not happening) or b) report cases where they see someone doing something they shouldn't be doing.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:20 PM

Man, even I agree with this ban. And I've been banned for this like 3 or 4 times now. It's not like he didn't see that the word got through the filter. It's unreasonable to come up with alllll the combinations of swears possible and put them into the filter, and it would suck if the software started censoring all words with possible swears in them like assassination or titmouse or whatever.

And it's not an inconsistent ban, it's just obviously hard to find all the posts with swears in them since I bet like 99% go unreported. I think we should be allowed to swear, but since we aren't, this is obviously a reasonable ban.

<font color="orange"> PS Skulla skulla h [censored] y'all </font>
Old 10-29-2007, 02:23 PM

gild, i understand these cases will be haphazardly found by mods and dont think people should expect 100% enforcement w/ rules. this rule seems pretty laxed and occasionally enforced even when mods notice it (some mods posted in threads from the last week, some mods were the ones who circumvented the filter).

if the enforcement of the rule is somewhat casual, it would seem the punishment shouldnt be too strict.

and the 75 posts is for the entire site. not just BBV.
Closed Thread