Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2007, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Jim Cramer

[ QUOTE ]
uhhhhh....

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but your point here is kind of...shall I say, opaque?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who knows a lot about the stock market would be too busy getting incredibly rich to do a tv show. Also, sharing your information decreases your edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't totally true. Have you heard of frontloading? He could load up on a stock, mention it on his show (stocks go crazy when he mentions them), then sell.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who knows a lot about the stock market would be too busy getting incredibly rich to do a tv show. Also, sharing your information decreases your edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't totally true. Have you heard of frontloading? He could load up on a stock, mention it on his show (stocks go crazy when he mentions them), then sell.

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems more like a recipe for getting sued by the SEC than for getting rich.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That seems more like a recipe for getting sued by the SEC than for getting rich.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to recall he did have some legal troubles for doing the ole pump and dump.

Trading solely on whatever his snippit du jour is would definitely be a recipe for disaster, but I don't see anything wrong with watching his program to pick up on some ideas to follow up with the proper due dilligence.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't he horribly horribly horribly break the law at some point?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure but you might be thinking of Quattrone. AFAIK he's the only one of those dotcom cheerleaders to be seriously prosecuted. How anyone could ever give Blodgett, Battapaglia, Meeker, etc. the time of day is unfathomable to me. I give Kramer some credit for jumping ship a little before those guys. But not much.

The Economist and Barron's were the only two publications I saw that got it right *before* the [censored] started to hit the fan. That and the bears on the Motley Fool message boards. That was a fun time to argue with all the kool-aid drinkers. In it's heyday TMF was pretty addictive.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:14 AM

suzzer,

FYI, Frank Quattrone is getting ready to launch his comeback. Recent rumors/reports have him raising a multi-billion dollar private equity fund.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CNBC doesn't let him talk about stocks with under a certain market capitalization because of that reason. He can't own stocks personally, just for his charitable trust.

Personally I think his mission of bringing investing to the masses is an honorable one. He explicitly tells people both in his books and on the show to not go out and buy every stock he recommends. His whole philosophy is that of "buy and homework", which means you have to evaluate all of his picks for yourself and see how they fit with your investment strategy. All those grannies that are losing money really aren't following his advice.

(Obviously I'm a fan of his).
Old 03-20-2007, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He used to run a very successful hedge fund. He is very rich and started out poor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well his Wikipedia entry supports the contention he started out poor, but I'm not sure how accurate this is. I seem to recall he was rubbing shoulders with Bill Gates and Steve Balmer at Harvard. They used to play a lot of poker together, no joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

not everyone at Harvard grew up rich.

anywho, I don't know how strong he is at analysis. I do know he has done a great job branding himself and extracting value out of that brand, which probably makes him a smart/hard working guy
Old 03-20-2007, 08:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

He watches CNBC for god-knows how many hours everyday (even records it when he goes out golfing or whatever) as well as reading, reading, reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

QTF. If you want to follow the market and be up-to-date you cant miss one day, or you are out of the loop. Kind of addictive really. But the good thing is by following economic news or by only reading a paper like the WSJ you get all the world news you need since any important news will be important to the markets.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Jim Cramer\'s show would be a lot better.............

if he only put some hot chicks on the show, instead of his ugly bald head.

He knows what he is doing. However, he trades so much and is completely diversified. Your grandmother doesn't stand a chance if she follows his advice. He is playing limit poker with his portfolio, because he only trades about one tenth of his position in any single equity, while his followers are are pretty much clueless, and trade in in out on their entire positions much like no-limit holdem.

Just get some hot babes in bikinis on the show when you tout the stocks Jim, then we would have something to watch.