Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is more fitting of the title 'King of BBV'?
aba20 71 76.34%
ggbman 22 23.66%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2007, 12:59 AM

Default Re: StarCraft 2 - Announced May 19th?

Zerglings look amazing. They looked too much like insects in SC 1. Now they look like the killing machines they really are.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Video 3 shows the Protoss Mothership, if each race has a similar unit this is going to suck.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the PCG podcast they said they asked Blizzard if each race would have a super unit and Blizzard said no. Obviously that can change but I wouldn't expect a super ship/unit for each race (it really doesn't' make sense for the zerg). Blizzard doesn't balance games like that.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:16 AM

I really doubt they actually publish the game with the graphics looking anything like they do now.

Anyone else remember when Starcraft was first announced, and they put out some screenshots of it using the Warcraft II engine?

I hope the new game doesn't add a new race, and I also hope it doesn't center on a few powerful heroes and their leveling up like WarCraft 3 did.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:13 AM

man, these graphics are so sick, but i hope they weren't too souped up for the release and that they look something like this for the actual final release of the game...
Old 05-22-2007, 10:59 AM

Interesting Tid Bit in a GameSpot Article about the game:

Pardo has pointed out that unlike previous Blizzard games, Starcraft II will have no "selection limit"--that is, you'll be able to click and drag your mouse to select an unlimited number of your own armies to control.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/gamespace/...topslot;title;1
Old 05-22-2007, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really doubt they actually publish the game with the graphics looking anything like they do now.

Anyone else remember when Starcraft was first announced, and they put out some screenshots of it using the Warcraft II engine?

I hope the new game doesn't add a new race, and I also hope it doesn't center on a few powerful heroes and their leveling up like WarCraft 3 did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing, but they previously stated that they were rushed into showing something for Starcraft, so they basically made up some new skins and wrapped them over the previous engine.

In this case it looks like they have been working on their own schedule and obviously setup the preview on their own terms. I doubt the difference from sneak peak to release will be as drastic as Starcraft 1.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:41 PM

There is no way they put "heros" or "creeps" into multiplayer (they might exist in single player or in the world editor).

Heros and creeps are what made WC3 a very shallow strategic game.

They have stated that SC2 will focus on large armies fighting large armies and have made it clear SC2 is staying true to it's roots.

Putting heros in SC2 would make it go down as a legendary disaster, along the lines of New Coke.

I'd be in line behind a few million South Koreans protesting out front of Blizz HQ.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no way they put "heros" or "creeps" into multiplayer (they might exist in single player or in the world editor).

Heros and creeps are what made WC3 a very shallow strategic game.

They have stated that SC2 will focus on large armies fighting large armies and have made it clear SC2 is staying true to it's roots.

Putting heros in SC2 would make it go down as a legendary disaster, along the lines of New Coke.

I'd be in line behind a few million South Koreans protesting out front of Blizz HQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. I'm pretty sure they're going to keep the hero units where they belong: single player. I'd be surprised if they didn't have critters in SC2, but of course they'll be neutral.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:39 PM

In terms of basic gameplay details, Starcraft II will be what vice president of game design Rob Pardo calls "a true sequel to Starcraft." The sequel is confirmed to feature only the original three playable races from the previous games: the Protoss, the Zerg, and the Terrans; there will be no fourth race, not even the Zerg/Protoss hybrid that appeared in a mission in Brood War. There will also be no hero characters, unlike in Blizzard's last RTS, 2002's Warcraft III. Instead, the sequel will be very much about what Pardo calls "mass armies"--large groups of units doing battle at once. Pardo has pointed out that unlike previous Blizzard games, Starcraft II will have no "selection limit"--that is, you'll be able to click and drag your mouse to select an unlimited number of your own armies to control.

Same article I posted earlier.

Heros are the gayest thing ever in RTS multiplayer and is one of the many reasons I hated WC3.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:52 PM

C'mon guys, heroes making WC3 a "shallow strategic" game and "the gayest thing to happen to RTS"? I've played more than my fair share of both games and I love them both. The heroes and the smaller armies made the battles in WC3 very intense with huge amounts of micromanagement involved. Calling them shallow and claiming they ruin a game is ridiculous.