Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Re: How to play turn here?

[ QUOTE ]
I hate to give free cards there

[/ QUOTE ]
not trying to single anyone out but I think the concept of giving free cards is poorly understood by many people. it really isn't that big of a deal when the pot is small, as so many pots are in aggressive shorthanded games

and if you never check with a made hand out of fear of giving a free card you make yourself easy to play against. I used to get my ass kicked by LAGs who would float the hell out of me because they knew when I stopped betting they could take the pot away a huge % of the time

to give an example,

hero raises pre with QQ, some aggressive fish cold calls from the button, blinds get out

flop T25r
bet, call

turn 7
check

the pot is ~3.5BB after we check. if villain checks behind his Ax or Kx, we are giving him a free shot with 3 outs which is worth an immediate 0.375BB to him. that kinda sucked

but if villain has a pair, he is going to bet. now we can checkraise and charge him 1.6BB instead of 0.8BB

if he tries to steal the pot with something like JQ or decides to bet his ace, now we are punishing him big time.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM

to be fair though the board in your example is much different than the one in the OP. Op's board now has two flush draws and a ton of straight draws, and we're looking and a BB caller and not a button cold caller.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:04 PM

just babbling to put off studying boring ol statistics [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

what I was talking about mostly applies to situations where we have the lead and villains range is much less defined. I think it can still be applied in the OPs hand though to a lesser extent