Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 12:18 AM

Default I make a read and then get lost

This guy looooves to play back at weakness. He's 53/21/1.2 over 50 hands. He calls when I raise, every time, so I'm pretty sure I'm way ahead preflop. I thought about leading the flop, but I thought he'd bet almost all of the time if I didn't, so I went for the c/r, thinking he'd probably call the flop, then fold the turn.

When I saw the turn card, I thought I was probably ahead still, but I didn't really know what to do. If I check, I think he's probably going to bet the turn and shove the river. So, I bet, figuring there was enough money in the pot already, and I'd be happy to take it down. And, on purpose, I bet strongly enough that it should be pretty darn clear to him that I'm committed.

His minraise leaves him with like $4. WTF, who bluffs like that? How often is this some mid pair, and how often am I drawing to two tens? I want to call, because I was pretty confident on previous streets, but who bluffs like that?

Anyway, I think my plan for this hand sucked. As played, what do you do? And how would you play it better from the get-go?

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BTN: $49.25
SB: $63.25
BB: $70.30
Hero (UTG): $53.40
MP: $41
CO: $57.65

Pre-Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP folds, CO calls $2, 3 folds

Flop: ($4.75) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $3</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $11</font>, CO calls $8

Turn: ($26.75) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $18</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $36</font>,
Old 11-01-2007, 01:03 AM

Default Re: I make a read and then get lost

Plz hlp
Old 11-01-2007, 01:09 AM

Fold; you're drawing to two Tens.

This whole hand feels pretty FPS. If he's a spewtard, just bet/call the flop and c/r the turn. Why would you expect him to call a flop c/r with air?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:13 AM

At the very least this is better then getting lost then making a read, maybe.

I really think you are behind here. You are telling him that his hand is no goot, unless its the nuts. He says "I got it chump". This does reak of FPS
Old 11-01-2007, 01:13 AM

Gotta fold the turn.

I like the thinking though. It's definitely good to try to adjust to your opponents. The board [censored] on you.

But for his stats, you'll find a better spot and stack him eventually.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This whole hand feels pretty FPS. If he's a spewtard, just bet/call the flop and c/r the turn. Why would you expect him to call a flop c/r with air?

[/ QUOTE ]

I probably wasn't clear enough in the OP. I was pretty sure he was floating me non-stop. He called literally every hand I raised. He called my c-bets and then tried to steal on the turn (usually pretty successfully). I thought he was just trying to run over me a lot. So, that's why I thought he'd call the flop c/r with worse (not just air, also 44-99).

I'm just trying to explain my thoughts, though, not defend them. I'm well aware of the fact that I probably butchered this hand very badly.

It sounds good, but can you talk a little more about the bet/call flop, c/r turn line and why it's best here?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
At the very least this is better then getting lost then making a read, maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the hand went completely according to plan .. until the minraise, at which point I began to question the sanity of the planner ..

[ QUOTE ]
I really think you are behind here. You are telling him that his hand is no goot, unless its the nuts. He says "I got it chump". This does reak of FPS

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a better plan on the flop? Bet/call flop, c/r turn?

I feel like such a chump when I do that and get called by TPWK, but it seems like it might be good here.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:25 AM

I try something like this from time to time against LAG opponents who appear to be messing with me. It always seems to come back to bite me.

I like your thought process about check raising the flop, you know he almost always bets so it should be an easy means to extract some value when ahead. The problem I have is you need to know what happens after that. What does it mean when he calls your checkraise? From your post you suggest you thought he would call here, but with what? If you don't/won't know then I wouldn't try to get fancy. Play the hand in a way that you can best determine where you are at all times.

Based on you continuing to bet on the turn it appears you don't think your opponent had a Q or a 3. I'm really curious what you think he might peel the flop with then. Because a card &lt; Q appears and villain is showing more aggression. Could this really be worse than TT? Look at the strength you've shown and someone is putting their whole stack on the line against it. I'd estimate you are ahead almost never.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:30 AM

poin,

If he is floating then stealing on the turn let him do that here then spring the trap. Went to the well once too often chap.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
poin,

If he is floating then stealing on the turn let him do that here then spring the trap. Went to the well once too often chap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh.

"I think this guy has a big leak when hands play like such-and-such. Therefore, I'll exploit that leak by playing in a similar, but totally different manner because I'm greedystupid."

Thanks.