Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2007, 08:46 AM

Default Re: 50NL: AK 101 for the millionth time

[ QUOTE ]
I fold AK to pre-flop 3bets all the time at NL50.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 42.870% 30.56% 12.31% 18835139 7591111.50 { AcKd }
Hand 1: 57.130% 44.82% 12.31% 27625582 7591111.50 { TT+, AQs+, AKo }
</pre><hr />

I shove vs. short stacks or once I have identified an opponent as a light 3bettor. I need more than 30 hands for that usually.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] plz.

this is bad.

Depends so much on the player though. Villain needs to be really tight, then you can fold AK to a 3bet.

God. I thought I was in the FR forum for a while.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 AM

Against someone with no reads I think you have to shove or fold. Calling doesnt seem right to me as there wont be a board you will be comfortable playing, unless it's A-rag-rag.

As Dan says you having AK makes him having AA KK less likely but it is still a possiblility, so it all comes down to the range you put the player on. If its QQ+, AK then you should fold, because your at best 50/50. However versus the villain in question hes probably 3-betting with a bigger range so pushing becomes an option.

There is no straight answer for this. One thing I have learned from reading posts here and watching videos is that although there maybe so called standard plays etc, most of poker comes down to the range you put your opponent on. This really means that only you can work out this type of question while playing, unless you give us a range that you put him on in the post.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I think I'm right in what I'm saying.

Anyway gl (:
Old 08-10-2007, 09:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold AK to pre-flop 3bets all the time at NL50.

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 42.870% 30.56% 12.31% 18835139 7591111.50 { AcKd }
Hand 1: 57.130% 44.82% 12.31% 27625582 7591111.50 { TT+, AQs+, AKo }
</pre><hr />

I shove vs. short stacks or once I have identified an opponent as a light 3bettor. I need more than 30 hands for that usually.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless against a supertighty, we have dead money in the pot and fold equity. Those two things make up for the fact that we are a little less than a coin flip.

I 4bet all in a lot pf. Just calling puts us in the exact position that OP is having trouble with now.

For what it is worth there is a lot of aggression at NL50. I have noticed that light 3-betting is happening. Not that it is ubercommon but that it does happen. I think a lot of the looser players are seeing it and emulating it with weaker hands than this range. I think if you have stats that villain is LAG and overly aggressive or active, I would be 4 betting this all in every single time.

+EV
Old 08-10-2007, 09:41 AM

Very interesting hand this one.

It seems to me that because of the pretty wide gap between villains 3bet range and his all-in calling range there is plenty of value in ending this hand right here right?
You avoid getting outplayed on flops you miss. In many situations this kind of thinking is flawed but i think it applies here. What is the cost of calling here and letting villain buy the pot with a worse hand that he would have folded to a raise? How often will that happen?

If we weigh this scenario against the fact that we probably aren't *crushed* by his calling range, I think that pushing pre is ok given the read. calling to play hit and miss seems awkward here or dou you guys feel that we have odds to do that?

(yes i know this is a pretty lame play. go all-in to avoid having to make further decisions. however, i feel that with our sketchy read (and the big pot building) we're not likely to get any reliable information further down the road to help us with the play either. now please enlighten me.)
Old 08-10-2007, 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain needs to be really tight, then you can fold AK to a 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This plain wrong. It doesn't matter if he is loose or tight. A 50/0 player is as loose as it gets but he will have AA every time he 3bets. What matters is his 3betting range. On my tables at NL50 the majority of 100bb stacked players have an even narrower 3betting range than my proposed TT+,AK,AQs+ meaning we have even less than 42% equity.

Against those opponents who have a wider range or if there's some dead money in there you can shove all day or call and play Poker. Shoving into AA/KK is just lighting money on fire.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Villain needs to be really tight, then you can fold AK to a 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This plain wrong. It doesn't matter if he is loose or tight. A 50/0 player is as loose as it gets but he will have AA every time he 3bets. What matters is his 3betting range. On my tables at NL50 the majority of 100bb stacked players have an even narrower 3betting range than my proposed TT+,AK,AQs+ meaning we have even less than 42% equity.

Against those opponents who have a wider range or if there's some dead money in there you can shove all day or call and play Poker. Shoving into AA/KK is just lighting money on fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think that 26/20/5 has an AA/KK 3betting range? I would say that those stats indicate that it is wider. My stats are even tighter but my 3betting range is wider. My stats are like 16/12/4 at the moment. I will 3bet AQo all day long from the blinds. I take down the pot like 90% of the time.

+EV

Ps: why would we want to play poker. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Arn't we here to gambool?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:15 AM

trig, if we are plus ev to shove in this spot (we are), we are definately not folding. the only question is whether the 4bet or call.

corsakh, we did not hit what we wanted - we hit a scary flop. our equity is not purely related to whether we pair up, but whether the cards might have helped him.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
trig, if we are plus ev to shove in this spot (we are), we are definately not folding. the only question is whether the 4bet or call.

corsakh, we did not hit what we wanted - we hit a scary flop. our equity is not purely related to whether we pair up, but whether the cards might have helped him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am missing what you saying. We have TPTK and a PSB behind. I'm totally lost what you mean by "we hit a scary flop". Yes, some boards are scarier than the others. Now what, you gonna fold every scary board to a cbet every time you have less than two pair on it?
Old 08-10-2007, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think that 26/20/5 has an AA/KK 3betting range? I would say that those stats indicate that it is wider. My stats are even tighter but my 3betting range is wider. My stats are like 16/12/4 at the moment. I will 3bet AQo all day long from the blinds. I take down the pot like 90% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since these are call/raise stats they don't say much about 3betting. He's more likely to have a wider range than the 50/0 type, yes. The table dynamics as well as our image influence this to a great degree, too.

In any case my point is that we can wait it out and skip doing flips for stacks until we know what our opponents are about.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:55 AM

READ THIS THREAD

It is seriously really good.