Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 03:14 AM

Default Turned a set on the turn, donked into on river. What\'s the play?

Don't know a damned thing about villians. How do you handle this donk on the river?

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (6 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

River: (12 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero? </font>
Old 06-21-2007, 03:16 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?
Default Re: Turned a set on the turn, donked into on river. What\'s the play?

raise duh
Old 06-21-2007, 03:17 AM

There may be a chance SB will overcall so possibly just calling may be best.

Also I don't get ur PF iso/3bet or ur flop check if you got no reads?

Edit: Actually regardless of reads or not I don't understand ur flop check at all.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:01 AM

I dont do preflop against unknowns.

Raise river. If SB is a fish he cant let go of his A let alone AJ or KJ and I cant see BB having QT very often.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: Actually regardless of reads or not I don't understand ur flop check at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew UTG, actually. He was a complete freaking maniac who would raise pre-flop with pure crap and go bonkers with nothing post-flop. In light of those things, pre-flop and flop made sense. I figured that the river was raise/call, and that's what I did - I just wanted you all to agree that that's the right play, since I get spewy on the river sometimes.

-Brass
Old 06-21-2007, 09:00 AM

bad players will notice that your line looks a lot like a set. they would expect it to be a flopped set though because this is how a lot of them would play one.

given how strong your line looks I think that BB has QT a large % of the time, though 2pair may be possible as well.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:21 PM

i'd call the river. SB has a lot of call-1-but-not-2 hands and you don't leave yourself open to calling a 3-bet w/ ~0% chance of scooping
Old 06-21-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew UTG, actually. He was a complete freaking maniac who would raise pre-flop with pure crap and go bonkers with nothing post-flop. In light of those things, pre-flop and flop made sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're not the only two players at the table and usually sb and bb will be aware of the maniac and their calling/capping ranges will be wide. preflop is bad. flop is good. turn is good. I call the river for the same reasons as miles.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:34 PM

the J helped the fish on the river. This is going to be a straigth a lot more than it isn't a straight.

the last 10 times I raised in a spot like this, I always get three bet and shown the nuts.

Also, by calling, the sb will call 1 as well, so you make about the same anyway.

It's close, it just seems like this bet is always the nuts in the games I play in.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:16 PM

A) Glad to see you opening it up against aggros a little Brass, though I'm not convinced this is the best spot for it. Yeah he's raising with cheese. Cheese that you're flipping coins with.

B) That said, HU I bet this flop. 3-way with SB calling 3 cold, I like the check.

C) Turn is perfect.

D) River is close - I think garden variety maniacs go the C/R here with QT/JJ more than a donk. This is 2 pair lots. However, with SB still in the hand, I think just going for the overcall is the correct play, as it makes you the same as raising if YHIG and costs you less if not.