Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Scotty Nguyen says High Stakes Poker is fake? (x-post from t.v.)

Lol
OP, don`t be one of those fools that take seriously anything another fool will say no mater how un-logical it sounds.

BUT... its true that players don`t pay a cent on PAD.
It`s a freeroll inclusive travel & hotel costs.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IMHO I don't think HSP is fake, and I agree with an earlier poster that if it is fake, the players deserve oscars.

In comparison, I do question PAD. They must have deals made ahead of time, etc. There is NO EMOTION on there EVER. There is TV drama, but no emotions tied to the cards. Plus in reading so many of their books, blogs etc. what makes the WSOP so great is the EXACT opposite of PAD. Huge fields of fish versus 6 sharks, WINNER TAKE ALL?!?!?! Seriously?! Who would get in this game repeatedly without a greater respect for the winners. Hansen has 3 WPT titles, Doyle, Chan and Helmuth are sick with their 31 WSOP bracelets, but if PAD is legit, from top to bottom, I am more impressed with these winners ESPECIALLY at super tough tables. Not to beat this horse more, but how many times have you heard pros talk about what a bad table they drew at this tournament or the next, those are, with exception for the big HORSE tourney, for much less than the $20,000 or $50,000 required for PAD. AND THIS IS WINNER TAKE ALL, alledgedly.

I say HSP real, PAD questionable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've won a much tougher sng than anything seen on PAD. True story.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im sure its legit, but that being said....

1)Anyone who knows anything about show bussiness, sports, employment contracts etc knows there is certain things players (employees) can't say to participate. Im sure in the contract where they get their appearance fee there is a "can not disclose "x" details"... this would include saying the show is not real... If you say something the show can probably file suit for the apperance fee they offered.
2)"Cross-booking" - a player owns X% of another player. Theoretically if there was 10 players, and each player owned 10% of all other 10% the game could be 0 risk. Simply put, we dont know that it is real or fake, but rather that it may not be 100% as it appears.
3) The game may be -ev as it is surly not the easieast game in town... but since the players get an appearance fee the game may be breakeven, or even +ev for some... This factor ways in some, but i dont see how it would constitute the game being "fake"...

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all if everyone had 10% of everyone it would just reduce the stakes by 10%... There would be no "zero risk".

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

think about it and get back to me. or better yet do the math

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he is assuming it is 10 handed. Then it is zero risk. Like playing heads up with 50% swapped.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Scotty Nguyen says High Stakes Poker is fake? (x-post from t.v.) *DELETED*

Post deleted by Dids
Old 11-10-2007, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BUT... its true that players don`t pay a cent on PAD.
It`s a freeroll inclusive travel & hotel costs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. The players pay their own buy-in. Not sure why you feel the need to spread misinformation.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:54 AM

seems real enough to me.. gus/daniel hand a good example.maybe he refers to season 4 500k buy in part?i watched it the other day and a few of the players looks quite out of their comfort zone(esfandiari).if it was fake sammyand doyle wouldnt be folding flushes now would they.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:58 AM

PAD bit boring, a few gems here and there but too slow in general. not even bothered to watch/download any of the 2nd series. too boring to be fake [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 09:55 AM

obv fake baby, you know what i mean baby?
Old 11-10-2007, 10:29 AM

wtf the most likely part of this story which is untrue is the fact that scotty said anything like this.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In comparison, I do question PAD. They must have deals made ahead of time, etc. There is NO EMOTION on there EVER. There is TV drama, but no emotions tied to the cards. Plus in reading so many of their books, blogs etc. what makes the WSOP so great is the EXACT opposite of PAD. Huge fields of fish versus 6 sharks, WINNER TAKE ALL?!?!?! Seriously?! Who would get in this game repeatedly without a greater respect for the winners. Hansen has 3 WPT titles, Doyle, Chan and Helmuth are sick with their 31 WSOP bracelets, but if PAD is legit, from top to bottom, I am more impressed with these winners ESPECIALLY at super tough tables. Not to beat this horse more, but how many times have you heard pros talk about what a bad table they drew at this tournament or the next, those are, with exception for the big HORSE tourney, for much less than the $20,000 or $50,000 required for PAD. AND THIS IS WINNER TAKE ALL, alledgedly.

I say HSP real, PAD questionable.

[/ QUOTE ]

if by deals you mean that they make deals on the side that second will get a piece of the 120k or even third gets their money back i believe this kind of deal is possible.

the fact that there is no huge emotions involved is that the pad format is much more similar to a sit n go than a long form tournament. i think that the players view the pad game as more similar to a prop bet than a real test of their poker tournament acumen.

i have a real problem with all these accusations of collusion. most of the players involved take pride in what they do. they want acknowledgment from the masses of their expertise. they wouldn't put that at jeopardy. because, if you run a scam long enough.. at some point a member of the "crew" will feel cheated, and when that happens they will run their mouth and before long the whole scam is made public knowledge.

i don't want to believe that scotty would lie about the HSP format. perhaps the woman who told OP this story exaggerated to look important. either way. i'm not buying any of this.