Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 10:26 PM

Default Live $5/$10 at the Wynn, short vs TAG & LAG

$5/$10 NL live at the Wynn.
BB: ~$1,600
EP: is playing a monster stack ~$12K
Hero: ~$540 short stacked

Laggy regular EP player raises to $40 which is standard for him. I know he is a regular since the staff seems to know him well. In the 1 previous session with him, he played super laggy, maybe 70/60 preflop. Despite his laggy image, he is a good player IMO. 2 calling stations and a trappy player (not involved this hand) have been keeping him in line postflop this session. In Previous session I was playing very TAG and then shifted to LAG about 2 hours after he sat down on my right, so he knows that I can shift styles. While not playing every pot like in last session, he still sees lots of flops either limping or with small raises, probably 35/25. He has been complaining that he is always getting a duece in his hand when folding so he may be just card dead. He appears to be very frustrated this session even though he stacked me for around $1600 early with a set over set.

I call in CO with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. My session image is semi LAG, probably 25/15, although I have tightened up quite a bit since becomming short 2 or 3 orbits ago and expect relevant players to recognize this. While I have had some tough beats and am stuck a couple of K, I have kept my patience and don't feel that I am showing any signs of tilt. I felt that I was ahead of his range but decided to just call with good position.

2 folds. Tight player who happens to be a friend calls in the BB. He is a straight forward bettor, may take small shots but rarely gets too involved without a good hand, doesn't often semibluff. Probably playing 13/8 preflop.

$125, Flop: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets $100, EP pauses for a sec. and calls, I think about a raise but just call.

$425, Turn: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets $200, EP calls, I just call with only $200 behind.

$1,025, River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img],7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img],2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets $200, EP folds, I make a reluctant call.

I am most interested in my preflop/flop play but will take comments on all streets.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Live $5/$10 at the Wynn, short vs TAG & LAG

Shove/fold flop IMO. It's probably fold given how tight your friend is playing (but you'd know better). There's been a bet and a call on this bone-dry board. Also, I don't see why you make a "reluctant call" on the river after you hit gin. Slowroll lol?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:45 PM

play 1/3 instead?
Old 11-03-2007, 06:40 PM

After reading my post I see that I made omitted some very important facts. Based on my description of TAG this is a clear fold on the flop. I forgot to meantion that TAG would probably adjust his range to gamble against LAG since LAG would more often be raising with marginal hands as wide as middle unsuited gappers than legitimate raising hands. I had discussed this with him before we got to the table. My read preflop was that he was deciding to gamble.

On the flop my read was again that TAG was not super strong and was making a defensive bet with something like top pair to take the lead away from LAG. The small bet on the turn appeared more like a blocking/probing bet rather than a handcuff bet with the nuts.

Sorry, I really screwed this post up but I was in a hurry and didn't reread it before posting. Live hands are just too read dependant to make good posts and I sometimes forget to meantion reads I take for granted.

Results were TAG had Th,8h and LAG grabed his cards out of the muck and showed 86
Old 11-03-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
play 1/3 instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:31 PM

raise the river.