Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Hero opens from Button - 3bet by mcTAG in the blinds.

Here's a fairly common scenario.

Hero has XX and it's folded to Hero OTB and Hero opens for 4BB.

There is a mcTAG to your left and he 3bets your open raise.
First couple of times this happens I give him a little credit and fold all but the top end of my range (and my range for opening OTB when folded to me is huuuuge)

Lets say this is the third time this has happened now and you are beginning to suspect he is 3betting you light. We can't just hand over our open raises here everytime or we'll be roadkill in short order.

Question 1: What are the chances do you think that villain IS 3betting you light as opposed to the chances he has just hit a run of hot starting hands?

Question 2: Whats your range for 4betting once you do feel you are being 3bet light? and is it better to 4bet a standard amount or just push?

Question 3: Lets say you opened with AK got 3bet and decided to push all-in what notes do you make on mcTAG (if any) if he calls your push with say a mid pp or similar type hand that he really ought not to be calling with.

Question 4: What adjustments should we make at the table for a villain who is 3betting us light on our left to maximise our EV. (for sake of argument we don't want to leave the table)

I don't know all the answers here - I am interested in what uNL's general plan is in this kind of spot.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Hero opens from Button - 3bet by mcTAG in the blinds.

1. Not really possible to say is it?

2. I slowly open my range. After a couple times of getting 3bet, the next time my 4bet range is probably TT+, AQo+, AJs+.

3. I make the original note that he 3bets light and just add that he's willing to call the 4bets light as well. Nothing special.

4. I tighten up my range so a much higher percent of my PFR hands I'm now willing to go to war (4-bet) with.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:48 PM

what stakes is this?

if i know he is a mactag and he thinks i am a mactag i will have my reraising battle cap on from the get-go.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Question 1: What are the chances do you think that villain IS 3betting you light as opposed to the chances he has just hit a run of hot starting hands?

[/ QUOTE ]
It think the chances of a good run are higher than people think, he might 3 bet light the first time or two, but after that hes gonna know hes gonna get played back at eventually.

(I know i do this, i'll 3 bet light once or twice teh same opponent but really need big hands to keep hitting them)
[ QUOTE ]

Question 2: Whats your range for 4betting once you do feel you are being 3bet light? and is it better to 4bet a standard amount or just push?

[/ QUOTE ]
given 100bb or less i like the push, but I'm not really sure this is the right play.

[ QUOTE ]

Question 3: Lets say you opened with AK got 3bet and decided to push all-in what notes do you make on mcTAG (if any) if he calls your push with say a mid pp or similar type hand that he really ought not to be calling with.

[/ QUOTE ]
4bet push for value QQ+ maybe JJ

edit: oh yeah, don't 4 bet bluff him
[ QUOTE ]

Question 4: What adjustments should we make at the table for a villain who is 3betting us light on our left to maximise our EV. (for sake of argument we don't want to leave the table)

[/ QUOTE ]

tighten raising range a bit, loosen 4-bet range a bit.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:25 PM

4bet pushing isn't very good in my experience and theory. i like 4betting 2.5x or calling and 'playing poker' what ever that means [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2007, 02:36 PM

i've been experimenting with the call and shove his flop bet, results still pending.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:47 PM

This is a question built for Bayesian logic.

Bozzer did a good post on this called "Instareads: Bayes theorum and small sample sizes"

My general feeling about this after working the numbers is that provided your paranoia reasonably well calibrated, your normal poker intuition is pretty accurate. in other words, if he just 3bet you 3/5 opportunities, he's probably not doing it with just 4.2% of his cards.

I mostly like calling in position. It depends on stack sizes a lot. I'm not going to 4bet if that will commit me to calling his 5bet push way behind, at least not without AK,QQ+. If stacks are short, and a reasonable 4bet will put me all in, then I'll 4bet all in a lot.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:50 PM

I agree with Antinome here that if he has 3 bet you 3 times in such a short span, hes probably FOS. However, as of late, everytime I think someone is FOS and I 4 bet them, they shove, so I could be wrong.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Antinome here that if he has 3 bet you 3 times in such a short span, hes probably FOS. However, as of late, everytime I think someone is FOS and I 4 bet them, they shove, so I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that happened more than 3 of the last 4 times your paranoia probably needs recalibration. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2007, 03:57 PM

Yea good call, I think everyone is out to get me sometimes, gotta fight that instinct.