Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Re: Why \"x% of people have y% of the wealth\" is irrelevant.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Because without Henry Ford, they would have figured out how to make their labor worth that much on their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

... so you're saying theft is justified if it leads to the greatest good for the greatest number? (assuming they couldn't figure out how to build a factory on their own).

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh... no. You really need to stop being so deliberately obtuse or get some reading comprehension classes. If I pay someone to work in my factory, and they choose to, it cannot be theft. My worker takes on none of the risk I take on when building a factory. If I make money or lose money, he BENEFITS.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If you don't work for that person, it's not a problem. Actually, even if you do work for that person, it's not a problem. Well, not any more than someone who paints his house yellow when you prefer green.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I believe it's a problem that has a negative effect on society as a whole, this is completely incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that your posting is a problem that has a negative effect on society as a whole.

I believe the moon is made out of green cheese.

The fact that *you believe* something is basically meaningless.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Am I? If he doesn't understand the value, he'll be setting prices poorly, and either not sell as much as he could have, or lose money on each unit and go bankrupt.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying value=price?

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I? Read it again.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:34 AM

So personal opinion is meaningless? Good way to view things. Why do you post on 2p2 at all? Aren't all these forums just "meaningless" opinions, including your own?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So personal opinion is meaningless? Good way to view things. Why do you post on 2p2 at all? Aren't all these forums just "meaningless" opinions, including your own?

[/ QUOTE ]

Opinion is interesting (not really, but I'm trying to be polite), but carries no weight beyond yourself.

In my opionion, coke is better than pepsi. Yes, this would make exciting stuff to talk about on these forums.

And, of course:

Old 04-02-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"the janitors of today [. . .] live better than the kings and queens of past centuries"

I find it hard to believe that the man I see sweeping up the office just now lives better than did, say, Queen Victoria.

But I suppose it depends on how we define "better" and I'm willing to listen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Queen Victoria is still pretty recent, but she didn't have iPods, cell phones, automobiles, 747s, air conditioning, 500 channels on TV, antibiotics, fresh fruit year round, dentistry, antibiotics, birth control, realtime streaming stock quotes, ACCUVIPAR doppler radar, satellite communications...

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh... I'm old and didn't have half of those things in my youth. If the more committed statists were in charge, I probably still wouldn't have them, but of course we'd never know what we were missing. Nor do we really know how much better our standard of living would be under capitalism.