Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 09:58 AM

Default Re: LASIK Vision Correction

I also am thinking about this. I am fairly squeamish about people sticking things in my eyes though, but not enough to put me off contacts, which I've worn for years.

Obviously going for the most expensive one you can/you can find is a good plan. How about: Is it worthwhile waiting a year or two? Have the failure rates been dropping, or is it at a steady level right now?

What are the failure rates for the expensive places? I don't think I want a 1/10k chance of being effectively blind.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also am thinking about this. I am fairly squeamish about people sticking things in my eyes though, but not enough to put me off contacts, which I've worn for years.

Obviously going for the most expensive one you can/you can find is a good plan. How about: Is it worthwhile waiting a year or two? Have the failure rates been dropping, or is it at a steady level right now?

What are the failure rates for the expensive places? I don't think I want a 1/10k chance of being effectively blind .

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my main concern as well, but no one who has had the surgury done has even commented that their doctor warned them of such a risk.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:15 PM

I have heard 1/10^6.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:40 PM

The American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, which represents about 9,000 ophthalmologists specializing in laser eye surgery, estimates that only 2 percent to 3 percent of the more than 1 million LASIK surgeries each year are unsuccessful. But FDA records of clinical studies show that six months after the surgery, up to 28 percent of patients complained of eye dryness, up to 16 percent had blurry vision and up to 18 percent had difficulty driving at night

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...5_lasik11.html
Old 10-22-2007, 04:20 PM

2-3% unsuccessful...what that mean? total blindness? no change to sight?

i'd definitely like clarification on that
Old 10-22-2007, 07:11 PM

Maybe I'm overly paranoid here, but I don't like the idea of potentially going blind no matter how remote the chance. What about asking a reputable practitioner if you could do one eye at a time. It only takes a few days to heal so you should know pretty quickly if you lose vision. If you go blind in one eye...don't do the other one imo.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:17 PM

I'm one of the "best decisions I ever made" people. I never liked things touching my eye and never wore contacts because of this but the lasik wasn't bad at all. I don't know if it's still true but back when I got mine done it was PRK=Painful LASIK=No problem
Old 10-22-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I'm overly paranoid here, but I don't like the idea of potentially going blind no matter how remote the chance. What about asking a reputable practitioner if you could do one eye at a time. It only takes a few days to heal so you should know pretty quickly if you lose vision. If you go blind in one eye...don't do the other one imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
this seems like a money issue.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:27 PM

Btw you who consider it and dont do it. Do you have hyperopia or myopia?

I can totally understand your concern if you have hyperopia. I have quite severe hyperopia and lasik right now is doable but the results are probably the same as for myopia 15 years ago or something. Ie around 50% chance for <20/20 and 80% for <25/20.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
this seems like a money issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol not quite, like I said if you are really trying to be cautious do one at a time. It would actually be much more expensive to do it that way but you would never be blind due to vanity, partially blind maybe lol but at least not completely.