Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Ray\'s UFC 68 Picks

You know the difference between my and Performify's picks? His are actually useful. Nonetheless, I thought I post my picks to start some discussion on the UFC this weekend. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

My work does a UFC Pool where for each fight you pick winner, how they win (submission, TKO or judge decision), and when (divided by each half of the rounds). Its pretty fun. Here's what I picked:

Tim Sylvia Vs. Randy Couture
Randy Couture by TKO (Referee Stoppage) - First half of Round 3
Optomistic, but I love Couture so much.

Chris Lytle Vs. Matt Hughes
Matt Hughes by Submission - Second Half of Round 2
I agree with you thet Lytle has a chance to knock out, but I think Hughes and Franklin are both coming into this PPV with something to prove.

Drew McFedries Vs. Martin Kampmann
No idea, but for pool I'm going with Martin by Decision.

Rich Franklin Vs. Jason MacDonald
Rich Franklin by Decision.
I think Franklin is going to come out with a lot to prove, but I think Jason MacDonald is no slouch and seems to be trying to continually improve his game. I don't see Rich dominating Jason.

Jason Lambert Vs. Renato Sobral
Renato by TKO in first half of round three.
Probably not based on reality in any way, but would be fun to see. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Rex Holman Vs. Matt Hamill
No idea. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Jon Fitch Vs. Luigi Fioravanti
No idea. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I'll go with the Luigi though for pure fun.

Gleison Tibau Vs. Jason Dent
Gleison by Submission Second half of round 2
Now that Glieson's gotten his UFC jitters out of the way, I think he'll do well in this fight.

Jason Gilliam Vs. Jamie Varner
Varner by Submission, Second half of round 2
Gotta go with the local guy. :P

Ray
Old 02-28-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Ray\'s UFC 68 Picks

Tim Sylvia defeats Randy Couture - Decision

Matt Hughes defeats Chris Lytle - Referee stoppage 2nd round (ground and pound)

Rich Franklin defeats Jason McDonald - TKO in Round 2

Renato Sobral defeats Jason Lambert - Armbar in Round 3

Matt Hamill defeats Rex Holman - Decision

The others Im not so sure, and probably wont get to see the Hamill fight anyways. He was impressive in the last few fights I saw him (TUF and a Fight night?).

Randy is gonna be destroyed. Its amazing how much people still think he is going to win. My buddy offered me even money bet on him. Even the fight poll at UFC.com has him as a pretty big favorite (although the lines say otherwise).

I think McDonald will be much more challenging for Franklin than Lytle will be for Hughes. But they should be good, competitve fights, hopefully.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think that result is the most likely (I sadly expect Sylvia to catch Couture coming in or another snore fest as is usual as Sylvia keeps distance and paws his way to a decision win)

.... But I can hope for the triumphant return of one of my favorite fighters.

I would love it if Couture v Cro Cop took place and if it was an all out 5 round war.... how likely it is that that fight will ever happen... I dunno.... for the title.... less likely.... and to be honest that it doesnt end fast with a Cro Cop high kick knockout... yeah. But I can dream damnit
Old 02-28-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont think that result is the most likely (I sadly expect Sylvia to catch Couture coming in or another snore fest as is usual as Sylvia keeps distance and paws his way to a decision win)

.... But I can hope for the triumphant return of one of my favorite fighters.

I would love it if Couture v Cro Cop took place and if it was an all out 5 round war.... how likely it is that that fight will ever happen... I dunno.... for the title.... less likely.... and to be honest that it doesnt end fast with a Cro Cop high kick knockout... yeah. But I can dream damnit

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Sylvia v. Cro Cop would be a much more interesting fight. Randy would not have a prayer against Cro Cop. Look what Cro Cop did to Josh Barnett, who is younger, bigger, and better than Couture. I know there are some differences between their styles, but I think that's a pretty good barometer for how Randy would fare against Cro Cop.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:18 PM

Yeah, I think that was Dana's intentions when signing Cro Cop. He realizes that Sylvia is somewhat boring and uncharismatic and wants a heavyweight champion with more commercial appeal; hence, a striker like Cro Cop. Most people would agree that Cro Cop will eventually take the heavyweight title (probably from Sylvia), probably sometime during the summer.

Randy is just there to bring in viewers, ala Royce Gracie last year against Matt Hughes. Hopefully, Randy will be more of a match than Royce was.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:02 PM

I agree that I think CroCop would demolish Randy, as much as I like him. I think Randy has a lot of experience in dealing with the heavy strikers, and am one of those guys who thinks if Randy hadn't slipped in Randy vs Chuck take III we'd have a different outcome. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I think the McDonald Franklin match is going to be much closer than people think...

Ray
Old 02-28-2007, 07:08 PM

Randy Couture by Submission - Second Half of Round 2
I think this is a bad call, but if Randy is gonna win it, its gonna be in rd 4 or 5. Screw Tim Sylvia.

Chris Lytle Vs. Matt Hughes
Matt Hughes by TKO, GnP - Second Half of Round 1
Hughes is back as a humble fighter with want. This fight won't last long.

Drew McFedries Vs. Martin Kampmann
Drew by TKO Strikes 1st half of Round 3

Rich Franklin by KTFO second half of Round 1.
Rich is screwing around, Jason is going to get caught trying to get a takedown.

Jason Lambert Vs. Renato Sobral
Renato by Submission in Second half of round 3.
Lambert is coming off a loss, and he didn't look very good at all. Babalu tried to push the pace with Lidell and failed, but it wasn't anything to be ashamed of.

Rex Holman Vs. Matt Hamill
Hamill by Decision

Jon Fitch Vs. Luigi Fioravanti
Fitch by TKO Strikes early 3rd round. Fitch is the most underrated WW by far. Luigi is a can.

Gleison Tibau Vs. Jason Dent
Dent by Submission in 1st half round 2. home team takes it down.

Jason Gilliam Vs. Jamie Varner
Gilliam by Submission, Second half of round 2
Old 03-01-2007, 01:45 AM

Im seriously thinking of putting some money on Sylvia. I think the lines are skewed by all of the over optimistic Randy fans out there. -300 is a lot more than it should be; but I dont want to be the only person in the bar rooting for Syvia.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Im seriously thinking of putting some money on Sylvia. I think the lines are skewed by all of the over optimistic Randy fans out there. -300 is a lot more than it should be; but I dont want to be the only person in the bar rooting for Syvia.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can always bet one way and cheer the other. That way it's a win win! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ray
Old 03-01-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Randy Couture by Submission - Second Half of Round 4
I think this is a bad call, but if Randy is gonna win it, its gonna be in rd 4 or 5. Screw Tim Sylvia.

Rich Franklin by KTFO second half of Round 1.
Rich is not screwing around, Jason is going to get caught trying to get a takedown.

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed my post, oops