Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Why soccer is the best sport for kids

Don't keep score? Do you live in one of those places where they banned games of tag during recess and got replaced dodgeball with yoga in phys ed?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:51 PM

not keeping score in the soccer league is pretty retarded.

I had zero negative experiences in any of the leagues I played in really although my Dad was a biy hyper as our baseball coach. I didn't play football or hockey though.
But I played baseball, soccer and basketball.

We did keep score though. WTF at not keeping score. They better be pretty damn young.

Also later umped LL baseball in the same league I previously played and STILL zero problems really.
So a lot of this just comes down to the parents being retarded or not and in my area evidently they were not.

There are definitely some idiot soccer parents out there who are way too hyper/mean.
And soccer can be a lot more vicious and dangerous than people think.

YTF - if your kids stay in the Memphis area the adult soccer league out by the Mike Rose soccer complex is one of the best rec-leagues in the country.
For me it was one of the most worthwhile things the area has. So knowing how to play soccer just to get to be a part of that league ain't such a bad thing imo.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:56 PM

not keeping score reminds me of this annoying gym-teacher from elementary school I had.
We would be playing basketball or softball or whatever and it would be a close, exciting game towards the end of the class.
If one side got a hit to tie the score at 7-7 then he would blow the whistle and stop class a minute or two early and declare that "It's a tie...So EVERYBODY WINS!!!"

Naturally, the whole class wanted to kill him.

Amusingly, this teacher's name was Richard Simmons but thankfully it wasn't THAT Richard Simmons.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so do all of these kids soccer leagues not keep score anymore? i'm not THAT old am i? but when i played we kept score, kept records, had playoffs, championships, trophies to the winners... what the hell happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

From my experience (FL and PA), the U-8 (7-8 year olds) is where they starting keeping score. The 4-6 year olds just go out and kick the ball around with no goal keeper and no 'official' score keeping (of course each kid knows the score and the team record)..

I have a 14 year old daughter who plays on a co-ed rec soccer team and the parents are very cool. Everyone knows each other and there are no issues even though the games are very competitive with an average of someone getting a yellow card every other match (usually for rough play).

My other daughter plays on a club team that is a bit more serious, but the parents are no where near as bad as some of the Pee Wee football and Little League parents that I saw when I played close to 30 years ago.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so do all of these kids soccer leages not keep score anymore? i'm not THAT old am i? but when i played we kept score, kept records, had playoffs, championships, trophies to the winners... what the hell happened?

[/ QUOTE ]

Scoreless leagues are mostly for *really* young kids. I have a three year old in a "micro soccer" league. It's four players on a team, they just kick the ball around. It's awesome. It's also, incidentally, the best way for kids to learn the game. what most people think of as "good practice" is actually incredibly ineffective in building useful soccer skills compared to just playing pick-up games with minimal rules or officiating.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5428473
Old 10-04-2007, 03:20 PM

kids start leagues that young? I just ran around my neighborhood like crazy when I was 3-5. Don't think I started little league until I was 6.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:55 PM

I don't know anyone with kids who would suggest any sport other than soccer. It's phenomenal physically - building both coordination and fitness levels (the latter probably more important for most American kids).

The fact that soccer parents tend to be less intrusive and inappropriate is just a bonus, really.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kids start leagues that young? I just ran around my neighborhood like crazy when I was 3-5. Don't think I started little league until I was 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think kids are allowed to run around anymore without a minimum of three people watching them.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
because the parents don't know anything about soccer!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good point. My dad was the standard crazy parent but now grandparent. Last fall my sister put my nephew in soccer(real footbal!)my dad doesn't know [censored] a about the beautiful game so all he'd do is cheer him on. But this year with the encouragement of my father she put him in American football. Needless to say he goes ape [censored] every [censored] game. My sister told my dad that the coaches told her that if my dad doesn't knock it off my nephew is off the team.

*note my nephew is 5 years old
Old 10-04-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
because the parents don't know anything about soccer!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very good point. My dad was the standard crazy parent but now grandparent. Last fall my sister put my nephew in soccer(real footbal!)my dad doesn't know [censored] a about the beautiful game so all he'd do is cheer him on. But this year with the encouragement of my father she put him in American football. Needless to say he goes ape [censored] every [censored] game. My sister told my dad that the coaches told her that if my dad doesn't knock it off my nephew is off the team.

*note my nephew is 5 years old

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know the had american football for 5 year olds. That seems like a bad idea to me. The youth leagues I've heard of start with 8 year olds.