Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 PM

Default An ace door card is the nuts $100 HORSE stud hi (LC)

Tournament - HORSE - 7 Card Stud High - Level IV (60/120), Ante 12, Bring-In 18 (converter)

Seat 2: 1,319
Seat 3: 2,804
Seat 4: 2,033
Hero: 2,000
Seat 6: 3,101
Seat 7: 1,862
Seat 8: 2,881

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

4th Street - (3.70 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.85 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (4.85 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls

River - (8.85 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

Total pot: (8.85 BB)

Results (in white):<font color="white">

Total pot 1062

Seat 2: [8s 4s Ah 7h 6c 4h Tc]

Hero: [2s 7s Ks 8h Kh 2c 5h] (two pair, Kings and Deuces)

</font>
Old 07-25-2007, 12:48 AM

Default Re: An ace door card is the nuts $100 HORSE stud hi (LC)

You're about as easy to bluff as I am, huh?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:32 AM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

Sklansky would have bet with all the hearts out. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2007, 03:19 AM

lol, this is a perfect of a donkament and any of the low limit horse games during the stud round
Old 07-25-2007, 03:46 AM

I just found it amusing that villain thought he could bluff me off my hand after I paired my door card and likely made trips or kings up.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:03 AM

You played that exactly like many of the passive calling station fish that make these games profitable. Calling when you know you're behind - donking when you *may* have pulled ahead - and checking, or failing to reraise, when you're very likely ahead. I'd estimate pokertracker stats of roughly 42% VPIP, 4% PFR, WSD 44%, W$SD 52% and BB/100 of somewhere near - (2.79). How close am I?
Old 07-25-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You played that exactly like many of the passive calling station fish that make these games profitable. Calling when you know you're behind - donking when you *may* have pulled ahead - and checking, or failing to reraise, when you're very likely ahead. I'd estimate pokertracker stats of roughly 42% VPIP, 4% PFR, WSD 44%, W$SD 52% and BB/100 of somewhere near - (2.79). How close am I?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have good results as a professsional tournament player. The tone of your post is obnoxious and inappropriate. I suggest that you are a losing player who is very poor at reading players and analyzing situations.

My call on 4th street was loose, but I thought villain was just ante stealing with an ace. I thought villain might slow down and I could take the pot with air if I didn't improve. Villain doesn't know I don't have split kings. The complete is automatic at this stage of a tournament with an ace showing.

On 5th street, I paired my door card, so I don't expect villain to bet. I also think there is an excellent chance he will fold on 5th or 6th, because it is unlikely he has split aces.

On 6th street, he is raising me when I likely have trip kings or kings up, so he is representing a flush. He could also have concealed trips or something. It does not make sense for him to bluff, as it is unlikely I fold. If I reraise, it costs me two bets if he has me beat.

On the river, I don't see the point in betting, since villain likely had a flush draw or a flush on 6th. It seems likely I have atleast kings up, so I don't get called by a worse hand much. Betting the river might also be OK.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have good results as a professsional tournament player. The tone of your post is obnoxious and inappropriate. I suggest that you are a losing player who is very poor at reading players and analyzing situations.

[/ QUOTE ]
I appologize for the tone of my post. I'm too honest and lack the filter in my head that prevents people from speaking their mind. It's a flaw that I deal with.

Aren't you also the fellow who suggest that open limping in razz is a solid strategy?

I can't believe that passive calling stations to any better in tournaments than they do in cash games. Any time you don't bet and raise when you have more than your share of pot equity and call when you shouldn't you theoretically lose money. Weak/tricky play does not get the chips - despite what anyone suggests. You will loser over time playing as your thought process suggests.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:29 AM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

SLM, betgo posts some unorthodox stuff sometimes. Quite often in fact. What he's demonstrating is an alternative strategy given a specific table dynamic. Does he always open limp very good starters? Probably not. If, on a passive table with lots of limpers, the guy before the bring-in tends to raise with a low door, he will limp early in order to reraise the limpers behind him. Get it? A specific strategy for a specific situation.

You really need to read the threads that are recommended. There's lots of good stuff in here, especially in Razz since there isn't much published elsewhere.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:44 PM

As far as open limping, I don't always do it. The point is that you improve your position and see your opponents' action. Generally you do it with aggressive players in front of you. That way, you can get away from marginal hands cheaply when the action tells you that you are in trouble, as well limpreraising sometimes with big hands. In razz, representing a big hand is not as important as in other forms of poker.

Obviously, I am not advocating limping to generally limp/call weak hands and call all the way.

If you look at the stud high hand here, I played it completely standardly.

I think you are looking in terms of playing tight aggressive as good, but you have to look beyond that and look at situations.

The only thing questionable in my play of the stud high hand is the call on 4th, but you can see that I had a very good read that villain had nothing. There is a techniqye known as floating, used often is NLHE, where you call with nothing, thinking your opponent doesn't have much and you can take the pot later.