Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2006, 10:47 PM

Default Will I learn anything worthwhile from \"play money\" games??

Hi folks - my first post here - great site.

I'm a total newbie to poker. I've been reading, surfing, watching poker TV and had my first home game last week (and yes, folks argued about the rules!). Will stick with Hold'em.

I've signed-up to PokerRoom.com for play money only. Been playings limit; NL and freeroll tourneys.

But it's clear that such games are SO different (IMHO) from "Real" money games - especially at the real money higher stakes. Although there seems to me some similarity between "Play" money games and Low-Limit "Real" money.

Apart from getting a feel for the basic operation of Hold'em, will I really learn anything much on the play money tables?? It's a great way to practice fold, fold, fold... and to watch the maniacs etc... But I'm thinking that the real way to learn is to at least play real money low-limit.

I've got the knack of the play money NL tables - I just fold, fold, fold - and then step out pretty agressively when the top hole cards fall my way and the flop betters my hand - whilst keeping a close eye on the maniacs. They still have a pop at me with rubbish - even though I've been sitting there for 15-20 mins just folding!!! Boring - but I'm always up, and I never go all-in, or call to the all-in bait from the maniacs, as they could just be lucky that time.

But I guess there is a good arguement for saying that one should totally master play money before moving onto real money. But the tatics are so different - as I watch real money games. I would say I much prefer NL ring games. Tourneys and Limit not really matches my style at the present.

The freerolls are different again of course - even more manic at the outset.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
Old 02-16-2006, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Will I learn anything worthwhile from \"play money\" games??

No. The only reason to ever sit at a play money table is to get used to the mechanics of a game you are unfamiliar with, or to get used to software you've never played on before.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:09 AM

I think you can learn a lot, actually. Mostly about big pot equity, calculating odds etc. You won't learn much about how opponents play, though.

Another problem is that it can be difficult to see results, since your chance of winning is so low. (Six people allin and you have aces and you're not going to win that much) It only comes over the long run, but that doesn't help when you play for three hours and lose with aces four times.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi folks - my first post here - great site.

I'm a total newbie to poker. I've been reading, surfing, watching poker TV and had my first home game last week (and yes, folks argued about the rules!). Will stick with Hold'em.

I've signed-up to PokerRoom.com for play money only. Been playings limit; NL and freeroll tourneys.

But it's clear that such games are SO different (IMHO) from "Real" money games - especially at the real money higher stakes. Although there seems to me some similarity between "Play" money games and Low-Limit "Real" money.

Apart from getting a feel for the basic operation of Hold'em, will I really learn anything much on the play money tables?? It's a great way to practice fold, fold, fold... and to watch the maniacs etc... But I'm thinking that the real way to learn is to at least play real money low-limit.

I've got the knack of the play money NL tables - I just fold, fold, fold - and then step out pretty agressively when the top hole cards fall my way and the flop betters my hand - whilst keeping a close eye on the maniacs. They still have a pop at me with rubbish - even though I've been sitting there for 15-20 mins just folding!!! Boring - but I'm always up, and I never go all-in, or call to the all-in bait from the maniacs, as they could just be lucky that time.

But I guess there is a good arguement for saying that one should totally master play money before moving onto real money. But the tatics are so different - as I watch real money games. I would say I much prefer NL ring games. Tourneys and Limit not really matches my style at the present.

The freerolls are different again of course - even more manic at the outset.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi,

Welcome to the Boards!

Just a few tips- all just my opinion, so treat with caution!

- Play money: Yes you "can" learn something here, but nothing you can't learn at the nano's, for a very modest intitial deposit.
-Pick either LImit or No-Limit and stick with one while you are learning. That's just my approach. There ARE fundamental differences between the two games. Why confuse yourself trying to learn both at the same time?
-Read All the Beginners FAQ's on the site. Either hunt around the various forums, or follow all my "Essential Reading" Links, on my site. (You'll end up at the same places!)
-Use the nano limits as an initial learning ground.
-DON'T get sucked into the mis-informed view that "They don't play 'proper' poker at the nano limits, so it's a waste of time" You WANT to play against people who "don't play properly". The worse their play, the more money you make. Period.
-Get yourself "Small Stakes Holdem" book (IF you are going to leanr LIMIT) and join the newly formed "Study Group" for that book, here on 2+2.

Hope some of this is of use.
Regards,
Ian.
www.PokerPlan.net
Old 02-16-2006, 06:55 AM

This is what I am doing:

Go to Royal Vegas Poker. They give you $10 totally free. No deposit. No credit card. Nothing. YOu can then play on real money micolimit games: I'm playing on 0.05/0.10 and 0.10/0.20. I avoid the 6max tables as I'm learning the full game. You are not going to be able to cash the $10 out since you need to hit x raked hands in y time and a the rake needs to be 0.25 to qualify which only a couple of my hand have so far.

The games are much better than play money but there still are maniacs abound. Last night I was to the left of a proper MANIAC - he had a VPIP of 96%! The other players were fish or maniacs. I played with tight PF standards but (overly I believe) agressive later on. I only played a few hands and won maybe 3 or 4 but took my inital table $5 stake up to $8. The players will see the flop with any picture card and see the river with any pair or draw. They play loose but much better than the play money games.
Other nights I've been sitting next to rocks and calling stations had a more competitive game.

I'm no expert (I'm total newbie) but as I see it, just by playing solid starting hands, betting when you are winning and folding the poor flops you will slowly win money.

I've been playing online for a week and a bit. My $10 is up to c.$15. The plan is to get comfortable paying the lowest limits. Build up to say $25 and the move up to limits where the average rake hits the .25c level. Then, if I'm still winning, I can clear the bonus and think about cashing in to get a bonus somewhere else.

That's my plan for what it's worth.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm no expert (I'm total newbie) but as I see it, just by playing solid starting hands, betting when you are winning and folding the poor flops you will slowly win money.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're more than correct. This strategy will win you money at the low end of the nanos. And while you're winning, you are also learning. It's a good starting plan.

I think too many people dismiss the value of the nano's, because they want to get straight to "the money".

Only the foolish would let their son/daughter behind the wheel of a supercar, if they had just passed their driving test. So why is eveyone so against gaining the base experience at a safe level. I know one is "life and death" and other is just money- but the concept is the same. Start small, aim big!

Regards,
Ian
Old 02-16-2006, 12:02 PM

the only "worthwhile" thing you'll learn is where the buttons are in their software.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:46 PM

I think play money tables could even teach you bad habits

But nano-limit tables are different. You tend at least to get a few players who care whether they win or not.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:05 PM

Other than the basics, such as how the blinds work, how the button moves, and play options such as check/bet/raise/call, I doubt you'll gain a thing from the free games. I only played free for about 20 minutes when I started before I figured out it was a waste. Too many people just try to go all-in and win the big hand, since they can always just get more chips if they bust. I highly suggest making a deposit and playing micro-games. You can play for as little as a nickel/dime I think, and at least the players have some reason to care. Of course, these games will be much looser than high limits, but it will be a much better learning tool than the freebies. Almost every site give a bonus on your initial deposit, so you should be able to play for a relatively long time on as little as $25 to $50. Good luck and keep the questions coming.