Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 04:52 PM

Default $11 NLTRN, trying to fix my leaks

im starting to notice one of my major leaks lately is Im playing passive, especially when it gets expensive making bad calls on chases, when folding or raising would be better. SO heres a hand. I discussed it with my friend who is not a HU player, but a pretty solid tourney player. Hes not unfamiliar with HU but he doesnt really study it avidly. Im also going to post our discussion on the hand shown. Please comment on the hand and any insight into our discussion:

only read on villain: he will almost call ATC to my button raises, or even BB reraises. he has overbet on a flop once to me and folded when i pushed.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t20/t40
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: t1535
BB: t1465

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t105</font>, BB calls t65 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t125)</font>.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t210, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets t160</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero??

-----(this discussion is after the flop comes out)---

// chris... says:
64o here
// chris... says:
what do u think
Banyai says:
raise?
// chris... says:
to?

{...HAND CONTINUES...}

Banyai says:
gg
// chris... says:
i like ur raise idea
// chris... says:
im not sure i would done that
// chris... says:
prob a leak
// chris... says:
i usually make bad passive chases
Banyai says:
i dont like calling that much and i dunno folding is an option but by raising u make him make a decision and if he just calls u can prob win the hand with a bet on the turn
// chris... says:
the only problem in HU turbos though is the limited chips relative to blinds
// chris... says:
i basically commit to that hand with a flop raise
// chris... says:
especially if hes strong and i lead turn
Banyai says:
ya by raising u pretty much cant fold but i dunno it usually works
// chris... says:
i guess
Old 07-15-2007, 05:12 PM

Default Re: $11 NLTRN, trying to fix my leaks

Personally, no matter of HUSNGS, HUcash or 6max, I raise flop-donkbets unless I have a read NOT to do it.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:16 PM

leak= raising with 64o, with the blinds still 20/40. more often that notyour gonna find ourself in sucky situations with this hand. your at the most drawing to 8 outs here. youcant really think that your 6 or 4 are gonna be good.
as played i think a raise is all yo can do, although your commiting alot of your stack on a weak hand. your freind is wrong IMO that a fold here is bad, i think a fold may be the right move, and cuttling your losses maybe the right move.
it seems that from your conversation that you got there however.
GG
Old 07-15-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
leak= raising with 64o, with the blinds still 20/40. more often that notyour gonna find ourself in sucky situations with this hand. your at the most drawing to 8 outs here. youcant really think that your 6 or 4 are gonna be good.
as played i think a raise is all yo can do, although your commiting alot of your stack on a weak hand. your freind is wrong IMO that a fold here is bad, i think a fold may be the right move, and cuttling your losses maybe the right move.
it seems that from your conversation that you got there however.
GG

[/ QUOTE ]

i have heard from some people that they button raise almost every hand early. For the people on this forum that are FOR raising almost every hand preflop otb, please post logic. (just trying to make a variety of discussion.)

chrismystero

EDIT: i can see why raising ATC isnt the best against an opponent who calls with ATC, but i didnt quite have this established yet 4 mins into the match
Old 07-15-2007, 05:58 PM

i agree that having a wide range of starting hands in Hu play is key. but against an opp. that is an aggressive calling station, i think that a tighter range is a better way to go. personally im not really wlling to make myself vulnerable at this point in the math. i muh prefer to out play my opp. in smaller pots.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:19 PM

I agree with your friend - you gotta play this aggressively. This is a perfect situation to raise - you have decent equity, opp is pretty laggy so there is a good chance he can't stand a big raise.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:34 PM

If your only read is as mentioned then raise. If he's getting it in with mixtures of 1-2nd pairs and pockets I'd either fold or call and lead turn, or if he donk bets a ton of flops you can call and lead turn as well here or raise.

Lots of options IMO it's tough to say what the best decision is here bc it's fairly player dependent but I wouldn't raise 64o without some kind of good read on my opponent and usually only when they hardly ever call my raises.

FWIW somebody who is a station from the bb to your button raises and who is pretty aggressive postflop is probably one of the worst people to raise 64o on the button against.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:01 PM

fold preflop

as played, most opponents are going for a c/r with Kx. i would raise in this spot if you think you can get him off mid pair/7x.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:11 AM

I call the flop unless I have a read that he is able to fold to a flop raise, then I might put in a raise.

I'd say call 75% raise 25%