Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: IGREA now has 31 cosponsors

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There have been bills introduced with 350 cosponsors that have not passed...so, as much as I want to hope and pray something happens, we may be a long way away.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a marathon, not a sprint. The first step was to get legislation introduced, which we did. The next was to have a successful hearing, which we did. Next, we have to have a committee vote, which we'll work to do. Then, there's a vote in the full House, plus the Senate, then a signature by the president.

Yes, we're a long way away still, but a few months ago it looked like we were dead in the water. We've shown a lot of resolve to get where we are today. Yes, we're underdogs right now, but we are building our movement while showing our commitment to our liberty. If we don't pass legislation this year, our inertia will carry us into next year with a lot of strength. Also, we can keep our opponents on the defensive. I've stated this on several occasions because it's very important...Goodlatte has been very silent this year. I've heard not a peep from the guy. If that's all we get this year, it will represent a huge victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%. The reason for my post was more to remind people that this doesn't end when we get 50 cosponsors. Though it will be a minor victory, we need to keep sending letters through the rest of the year and however else long it takes to get this bill passed.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree 100%. The reason for my post was more to remind people that this doesn't end when we get 50 cosponsors. Though it will be a minor victory, we need to keep sending letters through the rest of the year and however else long it takes to get this bill passed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. My last post was actually made to agree with you. We have a long road, to be sure. Hopefully everyone will pitch in where possible.

Everyone: if your rep is listed in the OP, please call today. If you know anyone living in these reps' districts, please get them to pitch in.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:29 PM

The Republican Party continues to weaken......

---------------------------------------

Senate GOP leader sets low expectations for 2008 elections
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

WASHINGTON (CNN) — Republicans are unlikely to win back control of the Senate in 2008, their Senate leader, Mitch McConnell, said Friday, gloomily predicting that “holding our own is about all we could hope for.”

But McConnell didn’t blame the low approval ratings of the Congress or the president or public rejection of the Iraq war for the anticipated poor showing by the GOP.

“The numbers are against us,” he told reporters at a Capitol news conference, noting that 22 Republicans and just 12 Democrats are up for re-election this cycle. “It would take an extraordinarily good day to get back up to 50. So our goal is to stay roughly where we are.

“If we had a good day we might be able to get it back narrowly,” he said. “But that’s just a realistic assessment of where we are.”
Old 07-21-2007, 03:29 PM

Default Where\'s Ron Paul on this?

Has he already, or will he co sponsor? (sorry, been away for a while)...
Old 07-21-2007, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Where\'s Ron Paul on this?

[ QUOTE ]
Has he already, or will he co sponsor? (sorry, been away for a while)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ron Paul has always been a strong supporter of IGREA and of our rights to play in general. He was an intial cosponsor.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

David Dreier (R-CA), 202.225.2305
John Campbell(R-CA), 202.225.5611

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the deal with these guys? As I have seen it thus far, support or rejection of Frank's bill has been fairly partisan. Are there any Republican cosponsors?

[/ QUOTE ]

Peter King for one, who was the head of the committee in charge of the Port Security bill and helped allow the rider to be tacked on.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:16 AM

I'd like to claim that all my letters to Dreier paid off, but it's not true. For the record since we're talking about Dreier (he's my congressman), he was one of the few Republicans who voted against the original bill when it was voted on separately in the house. He's so ultra-safe politically that even with his gay scandal, he's in no danger. He could vote for legalized murder of babies and still win re-election as long as he wants.

So if you're asking what his deal is, he's pretty much just voting his conscience against party lines (which he does more frequently than you might expect for a guy who's been around that long). He quite literally doesn't care about political ramifications. It's good to have one of his random outbursts be on a side I'm for, for a change.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:13 AM

Paul Hodes is my representative... I began writing him a note when I saw him in the OP, however, after checking the co-sponsor list on www.thomas.gov, he doesn't appear in the list. Is "Thomas" the official list?
Old 07-22-2007, 08:21 AM

The OP does not list cosponsors. Rather, it lists reps most likely to cosponsor IGREA. So, please contact Rep. Hodes today (email and voice mail) to ask him to cosponsor IGREA. Thanks!

From the OP:

[ QUOTE ]
Rep. Albert Russell Wynn [MD-4] and Rep. Michael Honda [CA-15] have cosponsored HR 2046, the Internet Gambling Regulation and Enforcement Act of 2007, bringing the total number of cosponsors to 31. I understand Rep. Frank needs 50 cosponsors before he'll bring it to the floor. The following representatives are probably the most likely to join us, so let's try to get a quick call or letter to them, especially if you reside in their district. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, one person here is trying to get us to stop this effort in hopes that we can sit back and get this sneaked into some must-pass legislation like some pork. Please disregard that advice. Rep. Frank asked us to help him get 50 cosponsors. If we get added to must-pass (or better, if we fund part of a must-pass), that's bonus and is a result of our advocacy. To make that our primary path would be foolish.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to claim that all my letters to Dreier paid off, but it's not true. For the record since we're talking about Dreier (he's my congressman), he was one of the few Republicans who voted against the original bill when it was voted on separately in the house. He's so ultra-safe politically that even with his gay scandal, he's in no danger. He could vote for legalized murder of babies and still win re-election as long as he wants.

So if you're asking what his deal is, he's pretty much just voting his conscience against party lines (which he does more frequently than you might expect for a guy who's been around that long). He quite literally doesn't care about political ramifications. It's good to have one of his random outbursts be on a side I'm for, for a change.

[/ QUOTE ]

He hasn't flipped yet, but he's been on our side so far, to be sure. Hopefully a few calls will bring him to our side. I hear some of these folks are on the fence, where as few as 20 phone calls could flip them.