Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 03:46 AM

Default Please B&M read this

This post is mainly related to Florida poker because people in this state are just plain rude and don't understand simple poker etiquette. So if there's anyone out there whom doesn't understand this then please say you read it here first and move on.

IT IS SUPER RUDE TO ASK THE DEALER TO SHOW YOU A LOSING HAND AT THE SHOWDOWN

I do understand that this is common in online poker. You can see any hand at the showdown simply by checking the hand history, but for the love of God and all that is holy, stop asking the dealer to see hands. It's so freaking rude and it slows the game up and it just doesn't have any benefits aside from "giving you information". That rule does not exist to give you information! This is news to most people... the rule exists to attempt to catch cheaters... to prevent colluding. Not for you to attempt to get a read on people, the sooner you learn this the better off you'll be, thank you good luck i'm drunk but I love you guys... just thought you should know.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Please B&M read this

I agree this is awful, and as a dealer I I try to muck losing hands very quickly to avoid this. Trust me, at the levels I deal, there's no advanced collusion going on. I've only gotten a little testy a couple of times with people who won big pots with suckouts demanded to see the loser's hand, suggesting that they stack their chips graciously.

However, you do yourself a disservice to get irritated by this. Yes, we all know why IWTSTH exists, but nobody who asks for it knows or thinks about this. Like it or not, it IS a rule for information these days. You can't fight it, so don't let it bother you. You'll affect yourself negatively more than you'll affect anybody else positively.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Like it or not, it IS a rule for information these days. You can't fight it, so don't let it bother you. You'll affect yourself negatively more than you'll affect anybody else positively.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you believe this, do you invoke IWTSTH whenever you are curious about what someone could have called with? I never let it get under my skin, but I do think that people should be heavily discouraged from abusing (i.e. using) this rule, or else it will start happening every hand.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:09 AM

Its definetly something that can put me on tilt when someone asks to see a complete bluff. I try to think of it as free advertising to induce calls in future pots

Theres not much you can do besides point it out to the floor, but there are limited results unless the person is blatantly abusing IWTSTH on several occasions. Even then, good luck trying to get something done.

I understand its because people are familiar with online HH's and how its readily available to all players. Maybe with time it will be less of a problem? How often does it occur if you play 3-4 sessions a week?
Old 08-26-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Like it or not, it IS a rule for information these days. You can't fight it, so don't let it bother you. You'll affect yourself negatively more than you'll affect anybody else positively.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you believe this, do you invoke IWTSTH whenever you are curious about what someone could have called with? I never let it get under my skin, but I do think that people should be heavily discouraged from abusing (i.e. using) this rule, or else it will start happening every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't invoke it. I also show down my hand immediately, regardless of position, if I think I have a winner. My goal is to get in as many hands as possible (for me and for the dealer), so I don't do anything that needlessly slows down the game.

However, I do recognize that for pretty much everybody, IWTSTH translates to "I'm curious" and not "I think you're cheating". It makes no sense whatsoever to let it bother me in any way. I feel my play is varied enough that nobody is going to figure out anything. And they're not even trying to learn, they're just curious. If anything, it's advertising, and I'll adjust my play accordingly.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:35 PM

Newsflash - People who do this are not isolated to Florida.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:48 PM

I've had a few people do this to me at Winstar, usually not too long after I sit down, which I've always found odd. I say "Let's not do that again" and then the entire table (who somehow have never been at a table when this has happened to me before) helpfully explain that the rules allow for this. The last time went something like this:

Dick: IWTSTH.
Me: Let's not do that.
<dealer shows while...>
Entire table: The rules blah blah blah...
Me: Still, let's not do that again.
Entire table: The rules blah blah blah.
Me: <hits pause on iPod, takes earbuds out> Attention entire table. I understand that the rules allow for this. LET'S. NOT. DO. THAT.

(The last line is EXACTLY what I said.) I don't care if it makes me a nit. A guy does that to me, he gets my warning. He does it to me again, I will see every one of his hands for the remainder of the session. Luckily, I've never had a guy do it a second time after I tell him not to do it.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't invoke it. I also show down my hand immediately, regardless of position, if I think I have a winner. My goal is to get in as many hands as possible (for me and for the dealer), so I don't do anything that needlessly slows down the game.

However, I do recognize that for pretty much everybody, IWTSTH translates to "I'm curious" and not "I think you're cheating". It makes no sense whatsoever to let it bother me in any way. I feel my play is varied enough that nobody is going to figure out anything. And they're not even trying to learn, they're just curious. If anything, it's advertising, and I'll adjust my play accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, just to be clear I never care when people use it on me - I'm perfectly happy to show my hand, win or lose. There are two reasons why IWTSTH bothers me: the first (and most important) is that it can embarrass a bad player. If some donk calls to the river with bottom pair no kicker and doesn't want to show it unless it's good, calling IWTSTH on this guy is just going to discourage him from doing that in the future.

The second reason is that it can slow down the game (as you mentioned above). This is especially true when some player *do* take great offense at having their hand revealed and so they start a pissy little fight that hurts the mood of the table, the speed of hands, and ultimately my profitability.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it won't. People have been doing it for years without being discouraged and it still doesn't really happen that often, much less happening every hand.

[ QUOTE ]
If you believe this, do you invoke IWTSTH whenever you are curious about what someone could have called with?

[/ QUOTE ]

The information most people get when calling this is to see how their hand compared or just general curiousity. They aren't calling this planning on using the information against you. Most wouldn't know how to use it anyways.

b
Old 08-26-2007, 02:35 PM

The last time someone asked to see my losing hand, who easn't even in the hand, I looked at him while I was still holding on to my cards though I said fold. Looked at the muck, flung my cards into the muck so that you couldn't tell which were mine and said, "look at them now."

It put the guy on tilt and then lost money to me later on because he wanted to see my hand.