Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Why are Las Vegas cabbies so weird about tips?

At least for cocktail waitresses, "that reason" for me is that I'm completely sick and disgusted with uneducated prisses who think they deserve to make more per hour than a person with a PhD simply because they're so gosh darn cute. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i don't think anything i have ever done has ever been described as "delicate/classy" before. i almost approached you at the bellagio and asked if you had any pot, as we ran out and you had a jacket with marijuana leaves on it. that would have been very classy.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would have been a reasonable request in my world. if you're holdin', don't hold out.

[/ QUOTE ]

perhaps, but shaniac has no idea who i am.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
vegas tipping is retarded

I tip $1-$2 total on cab rides...NEVER more

I tip 10% on meals...15% on really good food/service

I tip $1 per pot I win in poker...NO MORE...not even if it's $5K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow you sound like a lot of fun. Let's party. "NEVER more" lol.

Seriously, your post is a joke/self-parody, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should it be? If every poker player was a "nit" that only tipped $1 on a pot, these poor starving dealers would be making $40/hr. Oh, the humanity.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:32 PM

For the record, I have never seen a worse epidemic of long-hauling anywhere like it exists in Las Vegas. You give them explicit directions on how to get you from the Strip to downtown, they'll just go via the freeway anyways.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should it be? If every poker player was a "nit" that only tipped $1 on a pot, these poor starving dealers would be making $40/hr. Oh, the humanity.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah 'cause we all know dealers sit for all 16 downs and give out 30 hands an hour

this thread is clearly separating the nits from the people who might have some concept of enjoyment. i guess that's how rikakazak owns apartments - w/ 10% tips and $1 cab rides, and the scorn of the entire service industry.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah 'cause we all know dealers sit for all 16 downs and give out 30 hands an hour

this thread is clearly separating the nits from the people who might have some concept of enjoyment. i guess that's how rikakazak owns apartments - w/ 10% tips and $1 cab rides, and the scorn of the entire service industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

well $15-20 a down 8times is pretty good, as is only working half of your shift
Old 06-25-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
goof,

cab door dude: "Where are you headed?"
me: "Hard Rock"
cab door dude: "Hard Rock"
<close door>
cabbie: "Where to?"
me: "Hard Rock"

[/ QUOTE ]

this is certainly the most hilarious part of the phenomenon.

I asked a cabbie once why the hell they bother asking me where I'm going to go if they don't then tell the cabbie where I'm going (most of the time). The cabbie said there are two reasons they do it--one, to be more chummy and familiar with the customer and two, just to get a sense of where people are going, etc.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I heard once that Tupac Shakur carried ONLY hundred-dollar bills wherever he went and never wanted change. Meaning he paid $100 for $10 of groceries if that was the case. Can anyone confirm or deny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tupac will clarify this on his next CD.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. winner.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

A lot of people REALLY appreciate getting tipped a few bucks extra and it feels good when you make people really happy like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I waited tables, an extra 5% on a table of 4 would make my night. I still remember the really great tips - from 10-15 years ago. If the waiter was cool and you had a nice time, why not support that? You want those kind of waiters to stay in the ecosystem.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Diablo, you're a millionare right?

You know how many people who post on these boards are millionares?

Right... So what you're saying is totally insane and since people here respect you, they are trying to live up to this standart of "oh I am so BALLA I tip 30% I don't care".

WHAT?

What kind of money are you people making? I know for a fact most poker players don't make more than 100k/year (out of the people who actually win in poker). So I'm going to go around tipping a waitress 5$ each time? That's what... To go hang out play some poker and come back home, I've spent 50$ on tips alone? For every pot, every drink, every ride, every bartender.

With great power comes great responsibility. Diablo most people are not millionares and don't have money to throw to people who are rude and drive a cab for a living. This idea of tipping as a standart is really silly and if we are to do a poll, I'd think most people don't tip almost anywhere, except for restaurants WHEN it's good service.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i'm somewhere in between El D and this nit.

in general, i probably over-tip in relation to both my income and what people expect. this applies to all areas of tipping discussed. i hook up bartenders and servers for the obv reasons, mostly already mentioned (tough job, low base pay, etc.). also, my fiance did both jobs for years while in school and i've heard enough stories to have major respect for those jobs and tip well (assuming good service).

i hook up pizza guys b/c i did that for a long time and i know the variance of the job. you can sit for a couple hours doing nothing and then boom, it's go time and you hustle for a few hours. you can take a fifteen dollar order and get tipped five bucks or you can take a fifty dollar order and get tipped one dollar. there's no rhyme or reason often times to the way people tip pizza guys (not like a fifteen to twenty percent thing like with servers) and it can really mess w/ your head sometimes. the amount i spent on gas and the dangers i faced driving seemed a little ridiculous sometimes in comparison to what i was getting paid but i enjoyed the freedom (listening to music, puffing whenever, stopping for drinks, etc.) and the majority of our customers were nice and tipped enough to make it worthwhile.

after reading most of this thread it has occured to me that i probably over-tipped the vegas cabbies last time i was there. i guess that's why i didn't get the sob stories.

as far as cocktail waitresses i think i've been undertipping. i always thought a dollar was acceptable b/c that's kinda how we do it in the 'burbs here. next time i'm out i'll bump it up to two or three bucks but five is way too balla for me.

even though tons of tipping threads have showed up in various forums here i like this one and have found it very helpful.