Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2007, 08:03 AM

Default 44 hits set; monotone board; oop...what now?

These kinds of hands happen from time to time. You hit your set, but the board is ultra coordinated. How do you play it? On one hand, what if one of the players in the hand has a flush already, which means I am the one on a draw. On the other hand, one of them, particularly the preflop raiser may have a high spade and you would rather not let them see cheap cards. Anyway, here is how I played this one. Thoughts?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.25/$0.50 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SB: $20.15
BB: $43.80
UTG: $12.75
<u>Hero (UTG+1): $77.05</u>
<u>MP1: $48.50</u>
MP2: $41.85
MP3: $64.15
CO: $75.25
BTN: $18.75

Reads: <font color="blue">I have no stats on Villain; he just sat down and I have never played with him before.</font>

Preflop: Hero is dealt 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (9 Players)
UTG calls $0.50, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="red">MP1 raises to $2.75</font>, 2 folds, CO calls $2.75, 4 folds, Hero calls $2.25

Flop: ($9.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP1 bets $3.00</font>, CO folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $13.00</font>, MP1 calls $10.00

Turn: ($35.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets all-in for $61.30</font>, MP1 calls all-in for $32.75
Uncalled bet of $28.55 returned to Hero
Old 07-08-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Re: 44 hits set; monotone board; oop...what now?

Wisch,

I LIKE what you've done to the hand..... up to turn. But let's revisit the flop. Villain leads out with a small bet... which means, in order of likelihood:

(1) Cbet
(2) nice draw
(3) flopped the nut (or close) and is HOPING for a raise.

Then he calls your raise so I would think (with this board) that it REALLY knocks out most overpairs, unless it's AAspades-QQspades... but even there if it were me, I'm folding all overpairs except AAspades.

His call is NOT a non-hit CBet.

His call is probably NOT a flopped nut flush. Don't you think a shorty repops AI in that scenerio?

So what could it be?????

This is when I usually look at stack sizes. We have a third of his chips in the middle. With a flopped set, I'm usually thinking "stacks" so......

Let's turn bet half his stack ($16) and see where we are. If he pushes behind, call. You didn't give him the odds for the FD so if you are ahead and get rivered, you earn Sklansky Bucks. If he turned the str8... LOL, you gotta tip yer hat to his PFR. If he's got the flush already, well, you do have outs.

WA/WB.... I'm taking my chances on a flopped set.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:54 AM

Is this a standard pre-flop call? what do you do in this situation OOP when three over cards flop? I only ask because I an folding this PF, and I want to know if that is too nitty.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this a standard pre-flop call? what do you do in this situation OOP when three over cards flop? I only ask because I an folding this PF, and I want to know if that is too nitty.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is for me. Implied odds are too good to turn down here 3ways (I call one Villain getting 20:1).

I play it set or fold on the flop OOP. Ideal flop is Ax4.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard call PF. You have the odds to setmine.

Three overcards? Fold. Easy-Peasy
Old 07-08-2007, 11:24 AM

My thinking on this flop is that I am prepared to go busto if one of them flopped a flush (I do have outs). The odds of this happening is pretty long (It's ~50:1 that one of them has it now, I believe).

I try to get as much in as possible on the flop.