Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2007, 11:48 PM

Default A couple hands with questions

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

Hero ($9.85)
SB ($1.65)
BB ($17.55)
UTG ($9.80)
UTG+1 ($15.60)
MP1 ($10)
MP2 ($5.30)
CO ($9.85)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A, J.
[color=#666666]2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.10, [color=#666666]2 folds</font>, [color=#CC3333]Hero raises to $0.4</font>, SB calls $0.35, BB calls $0.30, MP1 calls $0.30.

Flop: ($1.60) T, Q, 3 [color=#0000FF](4 players)</font>
SB checks, [color=#CC3333]BB bets $0.4</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls $0.40, SB calls $0.40.

Turn: ($2.80) J [color=#0000FF](3 players)</font>
SB checks, [color=#CC3333]BB bets $0.3</font>, Hero calls $0.30, SB folds.

River: ($3.40) 7 [color=#0000FF](2 players)</font>
[color=#CC3333]BB bets $0.9</font>, Hero calls $0.90.

Final Pot: $5.20

I seem to get into a lot of situations like this, where the bet is small enough that I have odds enough to chase things like gutshots (and on the turn I could also get another jack). They never seem to pan out though.. and I end up losing a fair chunk of change in the end. So, I guess I just want to know whether I am right in approaching the hand this way, or if there is something I'm missing here... I have been on a long losing streak lately at this level, and I think a lot of it seems to come from the fact that opponents often bet very small relative to the pot and I end up chasing because I seem to have odds.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:14 AM

Default Re: A couple hands with questions

Fold on the flop. You've got 3 clean outs (any non-club K) you are hoping to hit the gutshot. An A may or may not be good. You also have the SB to act behind you, so even though the pot is giving you 5-1, a call on the flop is horrible IMO. If a K rolls off, are you going to get the action to make the implied odds worthwhile? Probably not.

You hit a J on the turn which gives you a piece, but also gave AK a straight. You are still behind any Q, which is most likely what BB has. Clubs/ other high cards are still a problem. Now you are getting almost 9-1 on a call. Irresistible. But why is villain making it so cheap? If you think he is betting a flush draw you could raise, but most likely you are way behind.

On the river, it seems like a pretty easy fold to me. What can you beat here that villain would bet so small? K-J or J-9 value-bluff? Not likely at this level... As always, it depends on your opponent, but your play of AJ here is "loose passive" which dominates uNL play.

Loose passive is the worst way to play NLHE, and it is not surprising that you are losing $. Easy formula for beating these stakes:

1) The fold button is your friend.
2) Play hands in position.
3) Play the flop aggressively.
4) Do not slowplay
5) Value bet Value bet Value bet

Play tight and play from ahead and you will beat 10NL, 25NL, 50NL. It's that simple
Old 06-28-2007, 12:33 AM

Default Re: A couple hands with questions

Umm, he's only betting 1/4th of the pot with a flush draw out there. I'd say he's probably trying to get it for cheap because a decent villain would protect a queen there. He bets .3 into a 2.80 pot on the turn. I think you're good in that spot. Raise his flop bet, and you'll see where you stand.