Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 06:16 AM

Default my new style: please check my stats

i spent a lot of august working on my game. this is how i've started off. i am only buying in for $300 at 3-6nl to help prevent me from going ape when i lose a couple of buyins (ps. sorry first image is small but still readable i hope)

fwiw i am down something like $2.5k in all in before river.

thoughts massively appreciated on this new approach (and yeah it's not exactly revolutionary 20/12) but in terms of position and aggression.

i spent a lot of time thinking about the theory of bluffing frequency. at 2-4nl especially, people simply do not fold, my only option would be to switch to a frequent 3 barrels.

i'm not looking to become the next phil ivey, just someone who can 10 table at 3ptbb/100 for a nice hourly rate.

many thanks

edit: i am concerned how much i am losing in the blinds, any thoughts on that as well appreciated.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:32 AM

Default Re: my new style: please check my stats

[ QUOTE ]
I am only buying in for $300 at 3-6nl

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmm..confused by this strategy. Mind elaborating on why you do this? If this is to prevent you from "going ape when you lose a couple buyins", why not...
1.) move down
2.) exit out when you do start to tilt
Old 09-20-2007, 06:41 AM

i could move down, but i want to get used to the aggression and flow of 3-6nl (and then hopefully 5-10nl) games. i don't mind having a lower winrate by only buying in for half.

i feel it always makes me call less with hands preflop when im not really getting implied pot odds but call with them anyway.

it also gives me far greater confidence when im playing as i know i am not giving my opponents the implied pot odds to catch up if i bet on the flop or turn.

also i don't really tilt as such (the worst is calling a bit looser) but i dont donk off chips, instead i just get annoyed and quit the session and go watch tv/play playstation, whereas this way ive already had a $2.5k and $3k downswing this week in 10k hands and have been able to carry on going.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:43 AM

probs is that sometimes it does cause me problems when making a bet but then i cant fold to his raise becuase im pot committed whereas by buying in full i good fold.

also had this yesterday utg lag raises to $24. utg+1 calls. i 3bet with AQs to $84. fold fold fold lag 4bets to $220 or so. utg+1 folds. now i know he has AA/KK/QQ/AK but given there is already almost $200 in the pot it's hard to then fold for another $200 odd. whereas usually i'd fold here.
Old 09-20-2007, 06:44 AM

john kane, longest running gimmick account in msnl
Old 09-20-2007, 07:06 AM

you know, people pay coaches a lot of money to analyze DB's

though i guess if you want it done for free by anybody with an opinion, thats cool too
Old 09-20-2007, 07:21 AM

I have a stat interpretation question for the coldcall%.

BB is 16% VP$IP, 0% coldcall and 5.5% PFR. So let's assume john kane is in the BB, BTN opens to 3.5BB and john calls. Under which stats would this hand go - only the VP$IP and not under the coldcall?

Do hands go under coldcall% only when UTG opens, MP calls and you overcall on the BTN? Or is it when you cold-call a 3bet?
Old 09-20-2007, 07:38 AM

Buying in for ½ when starting a new style is ridic. You stats and play shuold be very different playing with ½ a buyin compared to a full buyin. Move down to NL 400 og buy in for full.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:48 AM

With only a half stack surely you have less room to manouvre in the blinds. I mean your only raising large pocket pairs AK/AQ type hands, as a 3bet is such a big proportion of your stack. Am I correct in thinking this?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:33 AM

jeff or dad, ha ha, i think one day people will look back and think 'omg if only id followed john kane's advice i'd be playing $5,000-$10,000NL'...i am ahead of my time lols.

dj sensei, i appreciate that obv a number of good players on here coach and so it would unfair for one player to pay for the same info another would get for free by posting, but, despite heavy demand, i do not coach, so i try to reply to anyone who asks questions on here when i think my opinion hasn't already been posted by anyone else and hope those who don't coach as well can do the same.

janis, i dont really understand the cold call%. fwiw i've tried hard to be the raiser in position rather than the caller, becuase with only $300 im always getting worse implied pot odds than with $600.

snygaard, i dunno, it's meant ive gotten in 10K hands this week, more hands in a week than since june, so at least it gets me playing again.

pureklas, agree with you there are problems with 3 betting with non-premium hands. having said that i don't really mind, i find i get called with most of my 3 bets, especially becuase i can make them very small. like guy raises to $24, i can then raise to $60 with QQ-AA as wont be giving set odds, also it's quite fun when a laggy player raises to $24 and two players call, then i can shove for $300 or so as none of them probs have premium hands.