Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which are you?
Catholic 7 11.29%
Protestant 10 16.13%
Latter Day Saints 1 1.61%
Jewish 3 4.84%
Agnostic/Atheist 34 54.84%
Other 7 11.29%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 10:07 AM

Default Re: question

[ QUOTE ]
Aussie,

I made the decision to present about all those different games because it's surprisingly easy to do so if you present it right. Basically, I have a slide for "Draw Poker" and explain in general how a draw poker game works, then it's followed by a slide naming the specific variants five card draw and TDL, and I can pretty easily explain that the only difference is the win condition. I do the same thing with "Stud Poker" and "Community Card Poker." Like, I can't talk to people who know absolutely nothing about poker and not at least introduce five card draw, and there's no way I could skip out on hold'em, and if I do that, it's pretty easy to mention TDL and omaha, and at that point, I might as well mention stud for completeness's sake.

Your bit about implied odds is killer here. That's just thing I was looking for. It's elementary enough that I can fit it in, and it's tricky enough that it'll be horribly misapplied. Something like "waiting for the turn to raise" and "protecting your hand" are devious concepts, but I'd have to spend about another hour talking about strategy in order to introduce those concepts. Expect the money to be shipped to you by tomorrow night.

[/ QUOTE ]

rigged. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 10:12 AM

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

happy to be of service and cant wait for a nice trip report complete with stories of misapplied implied odds. gogogo

u playing cash games or tourney(s)? and what games?....I guess Ill assume youll just do limit or NL holdem.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:28 AM

Sure, I'll offer up a trip report. It probably won't be all that interesting, though. My lab mates are not necessarily the most exciting or even talkative bunch. Still, my prof will be providing pizza, and I'll do my best to loosen folk up with beer.

I honestly have no idea what exactly we'll be playing. We'll definitely use a tournament format. It makes payouts so much easier, and my nittiest lab mate is concerned about how much money he'll lose. If he knows his investment before hand, he'll be more likely to ante up. As for the style of poker, I'll probably just listen to the lab and play whatever sounds most appealing to them. I'll try to council them away from playing any draw game, and we'll match an appropriate betting structure to our game, i.e., no NL Stud. After that, though, we could do anything from a typical NLHE donkament to HORSE to a straight PLOnkament. It depends on what people will be interested in, and if they want to try out playing one game or several.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Variance: On Thursday, I'm giving a presentation to my lab group. On poker. This presentation will be 1-2 hrs long. We're doing this because when no one has any new research to present, we'll do a "fun" hobby presentation in the group meeting time slot instead.

Brag: Then afterwards, we're having poker night at my place. I plan on cleaning up.

Beat: I've got to give a 1-2 hr presentation that is interesting, informative, and is at least sufficiently convincing to a bunch of Ph.D. candidates and an M.D./Ph.D. that I'm giving them good advice about how to play poker well. Allegedly, I'm an "expert" on this subject, although I think it's in my best interest if my PI doesn't think I'm quite as good as I actually am. Naturally, my goal is to make my lab mates think they are good (or at least better) at poker, but to still leave me with an overwhelming advantage.

Currently, my plan is to provide a little history of poker, an overview of the rules of hold 'em, lolmaha, stud, razz, TDL, lolmaha/8, stud/8, and, naturally, five card draw, followed by some general poker strategy. The strat section includes one slide on expectation value, one on playing tight, one on odds and outs, one on reading hands, one one bluffing and deception, and one on betting for value.

Here's my challenge to the forum. I'll pay a $10 bounty to the person who can design one slide's worth of a presentation that is the most convincing bad advice presented as good advice. If a whole slide's worth of misinformation is too much, I'll pay $5 to whomever lays out at least one good bullet point's worth of misinformation. Extra consideration is given to entries that are not in direct conflict with information I was planning on presenting and that flow well w/ the presentation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluffing: The most powerful weapon in poker

When you have a losing hand, your only way to win is by bluffing at the pot.

Example: Hold'em -- Suppose there are 8 BB in the pot on the turn and you have no pair and no draw. You could check and fold, or you can bluff at the pot. You wager 1 BB to win 8 BB, so it only needs to work 1 time in 9 to be profitable. But what's even better is that you have *TWO* chances to bluff. Let's say you bluff the turn and get called. Now the pot has 10 BB in it on the river. Now your second bluff only needs to work 1 time in 11 to be profitable.

It's important that you bluff twice. Suppose that you think your opponent has a 10% chance of folding. If you only bluff once, he'll only fold 10% of the time. But if you bluff twice, he'll actually fold 19% of the time (1 - .9^2). So you almost double your chances of winning the pot by bluffing twice.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:01 AM

Oh man, this is brutal. I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the math you're using to back all this [censored] up. Aussie, you've got some competition.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SRSLY WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was one of the most horrible sessions I've ever experienced (not the most costly but the biggest load of BS I've ever seen)

[/ QUOTE ]

That w@sd is ugly.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:26 PM

I feel so sexy for this river c/r

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) internettexasholdem.com

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

River: (9.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 17.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 8s 8h (full house, eights full of kings).
MP3 has Qc Tc (flush, king high).
Outcome: Hero wins 17.75 BB. </font>
Old 08-21-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Variance: On Thursday, I'm giving a presentation to my lab group. On poker. This presentation will be 1-2 hrs long. We're doing this because when no one has any new research to present, we'll do a "fun" hobby presentation in the group meeting time slot instead.

Brag: Then afterwards, we're having poker night at my place. I plan on cleaning up.

Beat: I've got to give a 1-2 hr presentation that is interesting, informative, and is at least sufficiently convincing to a bunch of Ph.D. candidates and an M.D./Ph.D. that I'm giving them good advice about how to play poker well. Allegedly, I'm an "expert" on this subject, although I think it's in my best interest if my PI doesn't think I'm quite as good as I actually am. Naturally, my goal is to make my lab mates think they are good (or at least better) at poker, but to still leave me with an overwhelming advantage.

Currently, my plan is to provide a little history of poker, an overview of the rules of hold 'em, lolmaha, stud, razz, TDL, lolmaha/8, stud/8, and, naturally, five card draw, followed by some general poker strategy. The strat section includes one slide on expectation value, one on playing tight, one on odds and outs, one on reading hands, one one bluffing and deception, and one on betting for value.

Here's my challenge to the forum. I'll pay a $10 bounty to the person who can design one slide's worth of a presentation that is the most convincing bad advice presented as good advice. If a whole slide's worth of misinformation is too much, I'll pay $5 to whomever lays out at least one good bullet point's worth of misinformation. Extra consideration is given to entries that are not in direct conflict with information I was planning on presenting and that flow well w/ the presentation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bluffing: The most powerful weapon in poker

When you have a losing hand, your only way to win is by bluffing at the pot.

Example: Hold'em -- Suppose there are 8 BB in the pot on the turn and you have no pair and no draw. You could check and fold, or you can bluff at the pot. You wager 1 BB to win 8 BB, so it only needs to work 1 time in 9 to be profitable. But what's even better is that you have *TWO* chances to bluff. Let's say you bluff the turn and get called. Now the pot has 10 BB in it on the river. Now your second bluff only needs to work 1 time in 11 to be profitable.

It's important that you bluff twice. Suppose that you think your opponent has a 10% chance of folding. If you only bluff once, he'll only fold 10% of the time. But if you bluff twice, he'll actually fold 19% of the time (1 - .9^2). So you almost double your chances of winning the pot by bluffing twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holdem is a game of very small edges. Even the worst of hands does well against a strong hand...

AK vs 72 ----- 70% to 30%

Even a hand as weak as 72 has a 30% chance against AK. With so many others in the pot, you easily make up for being a slight underdog w/ your implied odds. Note that this is a super extreme example. This is what most poor players fail to realize and way over-value a hand like AK.

Pocket Pairs are golden. The odds are 16-1 against getting a pocket pair, so you are likely to have the best hand w/ and pocket pair. Any pocket pair is a favorite over any non-pocket pair so do not be scared to play your pocket pairs strong.

This analysis shows how big pockets 5s are in a random hand..

18,583,687 games 23.637 secs 786,211 games/sec

Board:
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 33.648% 33.58% 00.07% 6240013 13141.40 { 55 }
Hand 1: 24.932% 23.65% 01.29% 4394456 238942.40 { AKs, AKo }
Hand 2: 09.100% 08.13% 00.97% 1510536 180632.90 { A2s, A2o }
Hand 3: 15.361% 14.48% 00.88% 2691166 163429.40 { KQs, KQo }
Hand 4: 16.958% 16.39% 00.57% 3046355 105119.90 { Q8s, Q8o }

Also remember that hand like KQ, AT, KJ, etc are going to miss hitting a pair on the flop almost 2/3rds of the time:

Ex. I have AT. My odds are 6/50 + 6/49 + 6/48 that I even catch a piece. 63.255% of the time 2 big cards will miss the flop. So....

1. Be careful and cautious when playing big cards
2. Realize that pocket pairs are still going to be best 63%+ of the time.
3. After missing the flop, it gets worse for big cards.
---6/47 (~12.8%) to catch one on the turn if they miss a flop.

Everyone knows position is key in poker, but being OOP definitely has its advantages as well! Being first to act can win a pot for you when your opponent has nothing.

Let's look at an example.
You have Q8s and limp in early position after 2 other limpers and someone raises w/ AKo in late position. Everyone calls.

The 4 of you see a flop of QT6 and it is checked to you. You now have top pair and usually the best hand. Because you are first to act before the raiser, betting out here can have very good results. You bet and the the raiser calls and everyone else folds. You now have 87.3% of the equity in the pot because you have the best hand and are making AK draw to only 6 outs. Having the ability to enter the pot first also gives you a big edge in bluffing since you now have the initiative and only the best hands are capable of calling you here.

Bet sizes on each street : PF and flop b bets are only half the cost of turn and river bets. This allows you to get into pots cheaply to see both the flop and the turn. All of the big money is won on the turn and river bets due to them being twice the size. Because of this seeing a flop w/ KT can win you a huge pot when you hit. Also on a flop of AQ4 with you holding KT has the potential to be monstrous because when you hit your J, you are gonna make a boat load of money against hands like AK/AQ/AT/KQ/AA/QQ/etc, especially since someone is going to be holding an ace because any Ace hand that can flop top pair is strong. Top pair type hands will win a majority of pots, thus making the Ace a very powerful card and any Ax hand quite strong.

Yada Yada Yada... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 09:16 PM

Here's one for kerowo,

This is one of the funniest lolcats I've seen!

Old 08-21-2007, 10:48 PM

LOL GOLDEN!!!
Closed Thread