Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 05:15 PM

Default Need a Fall New England Trip Suggestion

I'm thinking of taking a trip up to NE in mid-October for my wife's birthday. We like to go hiking, shopping, and relaxing. Anyone have suggestions for a place to stay -- maybe a nice B&B and which areas are best. I don't mind spending some $$ fora nice place.

I was considering the Berkshires since they are closer to home (Philly). I don't have any clue about the area other than my skiing experiences in VT. Anyone have suggestions or personal experience with a similar weekend trip?
Old 09-08-2006, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Need a Fall New England Trip Suggestion

Berkshires are beautiful and awesome. If you really don't mind dropping some dough stay at the Old Inn on the Green in New Marlborough... definitely the best dining you can get in the region and a nice place. I still know a few of the staff there, let me know if you are going to contact them. It's also close to various hiking and sightseeing attractions, and not far from some of the better nightlife in the area (Great Barrington).

If you stay in the Berkshires try to stay in SOUTH Berkshire county, preferably Great Barrington - Monterrey - New Marlborough - Sheffield - Stockbridge - Lee. There's an outlet center outside of Lee, best shopping other than that will be in Lee, Stockbridge, Barrington, Lenox.

There are a ton of great places to eat as well. If you're going for a week or so you might want to look into renting a house or cottage instead of a B&B, although there are lots of good B&Bs too.

My lady friend and I will be spending our anniversary at a B&B recently opened by our friend's parents in Monterey, MA in a few weeks... I'll let you know how it is, they are very good people.

NT
Old 09-08-2006, 05:33 PM

This doesn't really lend well to hiking, but the Francis Malbone House in Newport, RI is amazing. It's right in the middle of town (walking distance to about everything), fireplaces/jacuzzis in most rooms, near the ocean/beaches, and if you want - a few hours from the mountains.

I stay for a long weekend every year, and have never had a bad experience.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Berkshires are beautiful and awesome. If you really don't mind dropping some dough stay at the Old Inn on the Green in New Marlborough... definitely the best dining you can get in the region and a nice place. I still know a few of the staff there, let me know if you are going to contact them. It's also close to various hiking and sightseeing attractions, and not far from some of the better nightlife in the area (Great Barrington).

If you stay in the Berkshires try to stay in SOUTH Berkshire county, preferably Great Barrington - Monterrey - New Marlborough - Sheffield - Stockbridge - Lee. There's an outlet center outside of Lee, best shopping other than that will be in Lee, Stockbridge, Barrington, Lenox.

There are a ton of great places to eat as well. If you're going for a week or so you might want to look into renting a house or cottage instead of a B&B, although there are lots of good B&Bs too.

My lady friend and I will be spending our anniversary at a B&B recently opened by our friend's parents in Monterey, MA in a few weeks... I'll let you know how it is, they are very good people.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I was gonna suggest. I went to school in the Berkshires. It's AMAZINGLY beautiful in the Fall.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:49 PM

Depending how far North you want to go, the White Mountains in NH are pretty badass. There aren't a lot of luxury places unless you stay at one of the ski resorts, but there are plenty of mom and pop owned cabins/cottages/B&B's and some of the best hiking in the country.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:52 PM

Where'd you go to school T?

I went to Simon's Rock for my BA

NT
Old 09-08-2006, 05:57 PM

nyc999,

Is newport very fun in the Fall? I lived 20 mins from there and it was a summer staple, but I can't ever recall going besides in the summer.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Where'd you go to school T?

I went to Simon's Rock for my BA

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

MCLA formally North Adams State.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:38 PM

The Norwich Inn (Conn.) is a wonderful experience. I've been there twice (when I lived back East). Plenty of everything you've mentioned and Mohegan Sun and Foxwoods are nearby if you want to go.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
nyc999,

Is newport very fun in the Fall? I lived 20 mins from there and it was a summer staple, but I can't ever recall going besides in the summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends what you are looking for - I often go in the fall/winter for a relaxing time. Most of the businesses/restaurants are still open, and the boating is pretty much the same in the fall.

The summer is definitely better for the partying/beach aspect.