Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 01:12 PM

Default 88s is greats

Party. I stopped playing for a while, cashed out a nice sum (my roll) and last night decided my new car needs gas. so. time for some 25NL to get my barrings again.

Villain here has a bit of a tilt problem, i think. i c/r him all-in on a QxxQ board and he had KK and was unhappy. Since then he has been reraising me a lot and overbetting everything, which is the reason i decided to block the turn and river here. When the second ace hits I dont want to give him the pot and when he just calls i'm not convinced i'm behind. How is this played v this villain, and I assume the river fold here is standard? is it a weaker hand/missed SD often enough to call with so little behind? I doubt it.

Bonus question: if the river is a 'safe' card, say a 9 rather than a K, or a 7 or something, can i call this river raise? Now, eeven if he is raising Kx he's got me!
Thanks

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($32.65)
Button ($17.25)
SB ($17.90)
BB ($31.45)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $0.75.

Flop: ($3.10) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, Button calls $2, BB folds.

Turn: ($7.10) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, Button calls $3.

River: ($13.10) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, villain pushed for7 more, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $18.10
Old 08-02-2006, 01:17 PM

Default Re: 88s is greats

looks like a slowplayed A to me...
Old 08-02-2006, 01:18 PM

You're WA/WB on the turn usually. I prefer checking. A blocking bet just bloats the pot size against a shorter villain.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're WA/WB on the turn usually. I prefer checking. A blocking bet just bloats the pot size against a shorter villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

If i check the turn he bets $10 and takes the pot. So you suggest just giving it up on the turn vs some dude with an attitude problem and his any 2 cards? I have a weak holding in a small pot, so that seems alright, but when the second ace comes I dont feel like he has one, since he'd have raised the flop i'm almost positive. I'm thinking that the river is a really easy fold when he raises and I should have c/f i think. But if it was a safe river like a 9 or something I'd rather bet I think.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:23 PM

Come on man, villain who hates you and has been super aggressive and coming over the top of everything you do suddenly calms down adn starts calling down? He's got an A, man, I know you have a history but give up on this turn and wait for a better spot. That 3 dollar bet does nothing.

I really dont like this hand at all.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on man, villain who hates you and has been super aggressive and coming over the top of everything you do suddenly calms down adn starts calling down? He's got an A, man, I know you have a history but give up on this turn and wait for a better spot. That 3 dollar bet does nothing.

I really dont like this hand at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on man, you're checking folding and giving him the pot on the turn? Isn't that second Ace a GOOD card for me since it makes it less likely he has one and more likely he'll call down with a smaller PP or 4 or 5, since he thinks it's less likely I have one?
Old 08-02-2006, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're checking folding and giving him the pot on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
Isn't that second Ace a GOOD card for me since it makes it less likely he has one and more likely he'll call down with a smaller PP or 4 or 5, since he thinks it's less likely I have one?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he's calling you down with a 4 or 5.

An A is still my best read on this guy.

What's the point of that 3 dollar bet? what are you trying to do? "blocking" is terrible. If you think he's got air, then check/fold, but fi this guy is that aggressive you're inviting him to raise you big with air, and I'll bet that's what he woudl have done if he didnt have an A.

Since he DID have an A, though, he just called.