Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: the embarrassment phenomenon

Wow and I thought I was the only one with this type of problem. I thought it was just strange and never told anybody about it. I hate when I'm watching a show and get that feeling, if I'm alone the channel gets changed, if I'm with someone else then I just grim and bear it. It is usually just watching crappy sitcom's that will do it for me.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow and I thought I was the only one with this type of problem. I thought it was just strange and never told anybody about it. I hate when I'm watching a show and get that feeling, if I'm alone the channel gets changed, if I'm with someone else then I just grim and bear it. It is usually just watching crappy sitcom's that will do it for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

my brother from another mother (or sister maybe)

these were my thoughts exactly, but in a better and simpler form than my original post. i have to change the channel all time from this stuff. can anyone explain why? please.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:58 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

I regularly have to change the channel for the same reason.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:10 AM

I love watching WSOP 2004-2006 broadcasts that I haven't seen before, but I got this feeling for the first time during the Circuit Event w/ John Juanda. Completely unwatchable...
Old 11-01-2007, 12:42 AM

I totally get this feeling as well and can't even explain it to myself, when I'm by myself, why I have to change the channel.

It's the worse though when watching TV/movie with Mom or Dad and a sex scene comes one.....just kill me now!!

T
Old 11-01-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are weird.

[/ QUOTE ]

co-signed
Old 11-01-2007, 01:58 AM

I get this a lot too...

A great example is the Britney video.

I don't think I could get through that video if I tried for exactly the reasons in the OP.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:48 AM

Wow this thread is awesome. It's like a scene in a movie when a character realizes he really is not alone in the world.
It's like near automatic for me. Either pause or channel gets changed. If I'm watching something in my laptop, I automatically open a web browser and read some random [censored] somewhere while the awkward scene ends.

I could however offer an explanation. Usually when you learned a certain emotional response to something, every time you experience that again, you go back to the original to access it. Like, that's how you get wired to actually be able to produce that emotion, in this case, embarrasment.
So, I'd wager that those that relate to this thread possibly have a negative reaction wired into their way to deal with "embarrasment", while those that think all of us are weird don't.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:28 AM

I've usually had the same feeling/urge, but I don't think it hits me much when in my mind, I know it's fiction -

some of that reality TV has made me cringe and change the channel a couple times -

RB
Old 11-01-2007, 07:43 AM

I get this too. I put it down to empathy - I figure that I am subconsciously putting myself in their shoes. Presumably the next guy doesn't, dunno which I'd prefer to be, both have their pros and cons.

I used to think this was a lack of confidence somewhere, which is kind of weird as lack of confidence isn't exactly a big problem of mine. However, I think it's quite common to over empathise with someone and thus be less sure of your own stance, so it's the same thing really.