Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Came Across an Interesting Book...

yesterday by E.W. Bullinger, the son of a famous Swiss reformer. The name of the book was entitled <u>Number in Scripture</u>. I was wondering if any of the SMP math guys had read this and could give me better info on it. I kind of gave it a cursory look. The book had so many puncuation and technical notes that it was a print editors nightmare so I only picked out one or two things, but apparently the author of the book contends that you can find intelligent design in the scripture of biblical numbers. Now if the bible was a hoax who would put that much work into it? Isn't this an unexplored avenue of intelligent design?

Just for some additional info. Here is Barnes &amp; Noble's synopsis on the book?

"Synopsis
Six hundred and sixty six is "the number of a name." When the name of Antichrist is known its gematria will doubtless be found to be the number 666.~~~ This may be the most famous number in the Bible, but it is by no means the only number to be found therein. Number in Scripture provides a complete and exhaustive synopsis of the spiritual significance of every number found in the Bible. This classic reference book on biblical numerology is one of the most famous and helpful reference books on numerology ever written. E. W. [ETHELBERT WILLIAM] BULLINGER (1837-1913) was a Vicar of the Church of England, a Biblical scholar, and dispensationalist theologian. Educated at King's College, London, he was a recognized scholar in the field of biblical languages. In 1881, the Archbishop of Canterbury granted him an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree in recognition of his biblical scholarship. Bullinger also wrote the notes and appendixes of The Companion Bible and is the author of numerous other works including Commentary on Revelation, Great Cloud of Witnesses, and How to Enjoy the Bible. "

An interesting wiki link to what "gematria" is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gematria
Old 11-21-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Came Across an Interesting Book...

Of course I had an interesting question crop up in my mind this morning as I thought about this book as some kind of biblical geometry/numerology.

So I looked up the birth of geometry. Wiki traces the birth of geometry to Thales of Miletus around 6 century B.C.
while wiki says about the OT: Most scholars agree that the Old Testament was composed and compiled between the 12th and the 2nd century BC.
Not sure where I'm going with this since there's probably more to the history of geometry but its an interesting fact.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course I had an interesting question crop up in my mind this morning as I thought about this book as some kind of biblical geometry/numerology.

So I looked up the birth of geometry. Wiki traces the birth of geometry to Thales of Miletus around 6 century B.C.
while wiki says about the OT: Most scholars agree that the Old Testament was composed and compiled between the 12th and the 2nd century BC.
Not sure where I'm going with this since there's probably more to the history of geometry but its an interesting fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please show how a single geometric identity or axiom can be derived from the Bible.

Or I'll even lower the bar: Please explain what "some kind of biblical geometry" even means.

By the way, my post clearly has some kind of message board geometry. I'll let others elaborate.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now if the bible was a hoax who would put that much work into it? Isn't this an unexplored avenue of intelligent design?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this can all be summed up by "wow."

Its interesting that Splendour finds a book SHE HASN'T read provocative enough that it may be proof of Intelligent design!!??!
Old 11-21-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but apparently the author of the book contends that you can find intelligent design in the scripture of biblical numbers. Now if the bible was a hoax who would put that much work into it? Isn't this an unexplored avenue of intelligent design?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are right!!!

The bible does look to be "designed" by some intelligent being.

After much thinking about this... My guess would be men were somehow involved in the process.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:13 PM

Old 11-21-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please show how a single geometric identity or axiom can be derived from the Bible.

Or I'll even lower the bar: Please explain what "some kind of biblical geometry" even means.

By the way, my post clearly has some kind of message board geometry. I'll let others elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is something you're interested in having proved I suggest you prove or disprove it yourself. I looked up the dates question because the wiki article said a Pythagorean motto used to be "God is a Geometer". In fact this whole thread was for math guys input and something new to examine. I specifically said numerology/geometry. I'm not sure myself about the geometry link, but the bible seems to like to use numbers and that book I cited contends there is a pattern to the numbers.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pi = 3.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pi = 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks gump.

I just came across this site on theomatics. Apparently there are different schools of bible numerology: bible code, ELS, theomatics, gematria are some. Some are new schools like theomatics while gematria are the older school.

http://theomatics.com

A quote from the "what is theomatics" page of the site:
"In theomatics, people can learn how God has written His entire Word mathematically, because existing inside the Bible there is a mathematical design. This design is the watermark that reveals God's divine authorship. No other work of literature ever written, apparently, contains anything that closely resembles theomatics. It is totally unique to the 66 books of the Bible."
Old 11-21-2007, 03:59 PM

i clicked that link and i gotta say that website just screams scientific rigor