Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Why is HSP3 a major disappointment?

I've heard this sentiment expressed so much in various threads that I thought it would be a good idea to have a separate thread devoted to this subject. I think the wide consensus is that apart from a couple of moments, HSP3 is a huge disappointment. I'm curious to know what people think were the mistakes made in producing this season.

In my own opinion, I think that the producers invited way too many players. I don't mind having Golds or Ramdins that much, you always need a sucker or two at the table. However, trying to squeeze too many players into too little time breaks up the continuity of the show. We have no idea how most players are really doing, and how their session is going, because we see them play at most half a dozen hands over the two episodes where they appear.

What are other people's thoughts as to the reasons for this season being a dud?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Why is HSP3 a major disappointment?

i don't think its a dud at all. i could of lived without the no-names but they all seem to have left, and i look forward to watching the "ultimate" table form.

i don't see how its changed much. i still like it.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:18 AM

The table selection until just now has been pretty atrocious. I think when we get deep into the table forming now it will make up at least alittle bit for the rest of the season.

As you said, too many players as well. I think they should play longer sessions with the same table, maybe switching one or two people if somebody wants to leave.

Having said that, it's still easily my favorite poker show on television.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:51 AM

Seems like the big names are all involved in "group think" this time around. First two seasons everyone seemed to be making plays on each other, now everyone has tightened up somewhat, working off of a tricky image of past episodes.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:08 AM

Why is HSP3 such a major disappointment?

Probably cause you were expecting too much
Old 03-28-2007, 04:09 AM

Yeah, if you invite nobodies, make them entertaining (cannot think of any, actually) or at least someone you can root for (Chamanara, for me).

These Shak and Trincher and what not folks are just so bland.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:23 AM

I agree with the 'way too many players' thing.. Seeing players come and go is kinda lame- we don't see them build up a rhythm- they are just in and out.. The ramdin/gold thing was plain stupid imo- they brought absolutely nothing to the show- just donked around and left.. Ramdin did provide some comedic value with his straight on on double paired board- but that was it [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Also- whats with all the makeup this season? they all look like boy band panzies.. wtf
Old 03-28-2007, 05:26 AM

I think there's been too much focus on table talk, rather than on the actual hands. Really slow pace at times and even though I think Gabe is pretty funny, I would like to see someone (like Barry) who could do some actual analyzing. I'm sick of the "he should put in a raise to find out where he's at" with TP
Old 03-28-2007, 05:36 AM

I don't think the show is a disappointment at all but i don't think the action has been as good. Part of that is the cards... there haven't been many huge situations and the other part is too many tight players make for a boring game. No one wants to take any risks or look foolish. The game imo is far more interesting when you have some action players or just plain bad players in it. I love having Sam Farha in the game he really opens it up.

The opening lineup was interesting for awhile with Gabe, and Gold, and basically a lot of weak players. Having guys who say like one word the whole time and stare seriously with their shades on like Wasicka are a waste of a seat. The conversation/needling/etc is one of the best parts of the show. The show is at it's best with Matusow / Sheiky / Farha / Doyle / Barry / Negraneau / Elezera. I would love to see some other older players get involved like Chip.. someone with some good stories to tell.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 AM

I don't call it a major disappointment. But it maybe hasn't had as many 'signature' moments yet. Season 1 had the BG/Farha AA vs KK hand, as well as Phil's overall donkishness highlighted by his beating BG into the pot with the worse hand.

Season 2 had the sick Quads vs FH hand between DN and Gus, Matusow being paid by the rest of the table not to leave and then obligingly bluffing off his stack. Also some very good and horribly unrewarded play by Esfandiari.

Other than "LOL Donkaments", what have been the memorable incidents this year? I guess Sheiky breaking MM's glasses, and Gold's douchi/donkiness.

Also, remember all the bitching about prop bets last season?

This time next season we'll be wondering why S4 isn't as good as S3.