Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: How do you avoid becoming a nut peddler in Omaha?

no point in doing anything but nut peddling at micro or mid stakes. still amazing how braindead people can be even at plo200. canīt find the hand history, but i had a huge river bluff called by queen high some weeks ago - he obviously thought he had a full house ...

getting your stack in with top set vs lower set all day long will pay the bills.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Serious question. I've been silently reading hand posts here on and off and a lot of the advice advocates very tight open raising ranges and check/folding a ton. Not to say that is what is advocated in every post but I see a trend. How do I avoid becoming a nut peddler, staying creative, and make money in omaha? Are these mutually exclusive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember that if you are going to play looser and more aggressive, do it in position. It makes all your decisions much easier postflop. Position allows you to pick up a lot of small pots on the flop.

If you see that no one wants the pot on the flop and you have top pair with a decent kicker (a hand you might not bet OOP), you can confidently bet it in position against one or two villains. If you are called and don't improve on the turn, check behind and get a free card. Many times you can see a free showdown.

Position position position.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Serious question. I've been silently reading hand posts here on and off and a lot of the advice advocates very tight open raising ranges and check/folding a ton. Not to say that is what is advocated in every post but I see a trend. How do I avoid becoming a nut peddler, staying creative, and make money in omaha? Are these mutually exclusive?

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember that if you are going to play looser and more aggressive, do it in position. It makes all your decisions much easier postflop. Position allows you to pick up a lot of small pots on the flop.

If you see that no one wants the pot on the flop and you have top pair with a decent kicker (a hand you might not bet OOP), you can confidently bet it in position against one or two villains. If you are called and don't improve on the turn, check behind and get a free card. Many times you can see a free showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

overrated
Old 10-18-2007, 10:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure this can be explained by my c-betting frequency is higher in PLO than NLHE and I get away with it. People are simply not continuing passed the flop without a solid hand. They don't want to risk playing a big pot without the goods.

Notwithstanding that, you have to know when you switch gears regarding the c-betting. I think this advice pertains well to the average to inexperienced opponent. To the thinking player, trim your c-betting a little more as they are better at picking spots to raise/c/raise you and put you to a decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play mostly in the 50 and 100 games (buyin not blinds). and i find it very difficult to know when to cont bet in many instances. i basically turned myself into a nit because of a massive downswing due to too many noobs calling massive river bets with bottom 2 pair...etc. i basically went with a "dont bluff anyone with a large vpip" strategy. but after my massive downswing i am 10x more timid on the button and i feel like potting it pre with 3 or more limpers (basically every hand) with moderate vpips is just a losing proposition without the goods. what do i need to do?? i feel like the opposite of what you said with better players being more bluffable.

btw i basically never cr bluff. should i employ this instead of betting into what turns out to be an even money bet?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

overrated

[/ QUOTE ]

Position is overrated?
Old 10-19-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

overrated

[/ QUOTE ]

Position is overrated?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. position is incredibly important. always playing in position is overrated.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

overrated

[/ QUOTE ]

Position is overrated?

[/ QUOTE ]

no. position is incredibly important. always playing in position is overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say that. All I said was that you can loosen up in position. That doesn't mean you should play crap like QT64.

You don't have to bet every pot in position either, but you will have a better idea of where you stand than if you were OOP (allowing you to bet more often).
Old 10-19-2007, 12:51 AM

i shouldn't have used the word "always." i meant that the importance of being in position is overrated.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i shouldn't have used the word "always." i meant that the importance of being in position is overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say position is more important in PLO than in no limit holdem. Bobby Baldwin would agree (Super System II) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2007, 05:00 AM

Super System II + PLO = roflmao

gl

bdd