Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 04:53 AM

Default NLHE: TAP

Ive been reading through this book and I have to say its a great insight into expectation and calculating very situational hands my problem is, i need some advice on doing this while at the table.

Alot of the book is saying that eg, you have the 3rd nuts on the river, only 2 hands beat you this is obvious. But then it goes onto talk about the villain, this particlular next villain will call 0.3 of the time, raise 0.6 of the time and fold 0.1 of the time. So by betting X amount, you have a positive expectation.

I undertand this, but when im sat at the table, how can I go about calculating this? Considering I dont know the villains actions, if i knew this I would know how to play the hand perfectly anyway. Is it based on my best judgment, ie...

I can sit there and think, this opponents pretty aggressive so theres probably a 40% chance he will raise me, and %5 of that he will have the winning hand, but im probably calling anyway if hes agressive?

A little insight onto people whove studied the book and put EV into practice on a regular basis would be appreciated.

Ash. [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-11-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: NLHE: TAP

It says in the book that you are not supposed to actually calculate all the estimates you make in equations, they are showing how to think so you can estimate it like they do in your head. Like if you semi-bluff all in with a draw you don't actually calculate it black on white but you think about your equity and the chance your opponent will fold and you think about if it would be better to check or what not