Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 03:40 PM

Default Starting Strength is good

I just deadlifted three plates last night, so it feels right to make a brag post and an update of my situation. I found this forum about 8 months ago and quickly hopped on the SS band wagon. As you can see from my log, I've stuck to it pretty diligently, with solid results. I've increased all my big lifts significantly over the 7 months or so I've done SS:

squat: 10x205 -> 5x270 (also 10x250)
dead: 10x215 -> 5x315
bench: 5x145 -> 5x180

This is after at least four years of off-and-on training these lifts. I'm 6'4" 197 lbs, about the same as I was when I started SS.

My long term goal is to get to 300/400/500 bench/squat/dead for at least one rep, hopefully within the next three years. I'm sure I'll have to gain some weight to pull that off, but I'd like to remain quick on my feet for sports purposes. Diet is my main problem, specifically booze. I'll eventually figure something out.

I've converted a few of my friends to SS as well, including this guy who also kept a log. He hurt his quad and he's been playing a lot of ultimate frisbee lately, so I'm not sure when he plans to get back in the weight room, but he's definitely a beast. He's 5'8" 180 lbs.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Starting Strength is good

Awesome work, but yeah you need to eat more and gain some weight if you really want to increase your strength.