Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 06:55 AM

Default How to become a tutor?

I'm currently attending a 2-year school as a math major intending to transfer to a 4-year school. I do very well in scientific courses and I think I understand all the material well.

I think I could be very useful as a tutor because I don't have trouble with subjects that most people seem to do really bad in. However, the tutoring center in my school pays a ridiculous wage of $8/hr, I could go flip burgers for that much.

I see ads posted for private tutors, but how could I get into that? Without any teaching/tutoring experience, I don't think I'd be able to get any customers. Also, I don't think I'd be an effective teacher without any training because I know it's not my strong skill (I know that the psychology of learning is different for some people, and that my way of learning/understanding differs from the average person, even though it's probably close to norm on 2+2). So, how can I learn the necessary skills to be a valuable tutor without taking an $8/hr job?
Old 11-02-2007, 09:38 AM

Default Re: How to become a tutor?

How well did you do on the SAT? You could work for Princeton Review, or some other prep course, and get your training there. This also gives you a nice base for picking up private clients. Worked for me when i was an undergrad.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:18 PM

I agree with the first response. I teach/tutor for Kaplan occasionally, and their only base requirement is 90%tile in the relevant test. A diagnostic test, which you can take at the center, usually qualifies.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:32 PM

That's a good idea. I got a 1420 on my SAT (taking the old SAT back in 2003/2004), I think the people who taught my Priceton Review course scored in the 1200s, so I would definitely qualify.

Thanks guys, I'll definitely look into it.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:20 PM

be a private SAT tutor, if you can network well and work independently you can make a ridiculous killing. im almost ashamed to say how much my parents have put into getting me a tutor for the SAT. i did the princeton review course and it was totally worthless, but the private guy i got has helped me so much that it is worth it (im taking SAT tomorrow, got a 2050 first time, taking again tomorrow). if you can teach people well and not do it through a service you will make a lot