Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Examples of why your dad is/was awesome

No really funny stories, but my dad's lived a pretty cool life as a professional jazz musician for over 45 years. If someone's a pretty big name i nthe jazz business, there's a pretty good chance my old man's played with him at some point. He released two albums last year, and has been a Grammy voter forever, stuff like that.

He also had a Cubs minor league tryout in the 50s, but as a good hit no field shortstop...that didn't quite cut it, heh.

He'd also take us out of school to go to Orioles spring training in Miami, back in the 70s. Fun times.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No really funny stories, but my dad's lived a pretty cool life as a professional jazz musician for over 45 years. If someone's a pretty big name i nthe jazz business, there's a pretty good chance my old man's played with him at some point. He released two albums last year, and has been a Grammy voter forever, stuff like that.

He also had a Cubs minor league tryout in the 50s, but as a good hit no field shortstop...that didn't quite cut it, heh.

He'd also take us out of school to go to Orioles spring training in Miami, back in the 70s. Fun times.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your dad's name?
Old 11-30-2007, 03:10 AM

1) My dad worked long hours at a very demanding job but somehow still found time to coach me and my siblings in whatever sport we were playing (after learning how to do it himself). He was never late for a practice or game and was always in a great mood when he got there, despite having to skip lunch and rush around all day to make it there on time. As a coach he was all about good sportsmanship, trying your best, having fun, etc.

2) This is a weird sentimental one. He always packed the lunches for us kids the night before school. They'd all be personalized to our individual tastes of the week - even when my sister became a "lunchtime vegetarian." Yes, we had a mom (she was great, too) but this was just dad's thing to do.

I'm a dad now myself and sadly, my dad is gone, but now I do these same things for my kid and it feels great to know where that came from.