Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2007, 04:16 AM

Default Top pair & nut flush draw in $1500 NL 6-max

100/200 a25 6-handed

I raise UTG to 600 with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Button calls. He's too loose preflop and not really good postflop but not crazy or anything. He can have like any suited ace, small-mid pairs, paint cards, and like AT-AJ, maybe AQ, and probably some suited connectors or something. Pot 1750, effective stacks like 13.5K to start the hand.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I bet 1200, he makes it 2500. What do I do? If I don't jam what is my plan for the turn/river?
Old 06-08-2007, 04:28 AM

Default Re: Top pair & nut flush draw in $1500 NL 6-max

given the range you listed, i think just jam and be happy should he call off his chips.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:29 AM

Screw it I'd just reraise, especially since you say he's not that good, he may talk himself into calling with some BS. Raise some amount so that in case he has clubs he will call you, like 4600-5000 or so?
Old 06-08-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
given the range you listed, i think just jam and be happy should he call off his chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but its a huge disaster if you get him to fold something like KQc or QJc or whatever, any club draw. Also if you raise smaller he's going to have a tough enough time folding something like AT, maybe he finds the fold if you move allin.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:48 AM

I should say I'm pretty sure he's like never calling a reraise with a worse ace, but he's bad postflop in the sense that he may be raising to see where he's at with one.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:59 AM

I recommend you cold call the flop, then see into his soul to determine the best way to get the money in on the turn, keeping in mind that he frequently wants to check weak hands on the turn. Also, I don't think that both he has AJ beat often enough and that he wont get the money in when a good card comes for you often enough, that you should jam the flop instead of coldcall and invite his < AJ hands to make a serious error.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Screw it I'd just reraise, especially since you say he's not that good, he may talk himself into calling with some BS. Raise some amount so that in case he has clubs he will call you, like 4600-5000 or so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Three-betting the flop small from UTG is going to look really, really strong on that board and I'd say he'd have to be really bad to call with a weaker ace (and no club draw). I think all that calls any type of three bet is sets and clubs, maybe AK (which doesn't seem all that likely).
Old 06-08-2007, 05:11 AM

I'd call. If you jam, he is never folding a better hand (right?) and folding almost all of his worse ones.

Calling will also pretty much ensure you get another bet out of a weak ace if the turn/river brick. Additionally, you will keep smaller flush draws around which will probably fire a second barrel.

Lastly, by calling you may save chips if you are up against a set or two pair. If he doesn't size his bets well you can get to showdown for less than all-in, and additionally can probably get him to stack off with one of those hands if your flush hits. (no one folds a set, ever). Call.

In short, raising all-in doesn't accomplish much unless you think he is calling with AT-A4 or a naked flush draw or something really stupid.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:14 AM

jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam jam
Old 06-08-2007, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Three-betting the flop small from UTG is going to look really, really strong on that board and I'd say he'd have to be really bad to call with a weaker ace (and no club draw). I think all that calls any type of three bet is sets and clubs, maybe AK (which doesn't seem all that likely).

[/ QUOTE ]

moving allin looks strong too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]